Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Truffle Mac And Cheese

Today I made a brisket truffle mac and cheese casserole that had... seven layers.  This was a riff off a recipe I’d seen on Man Fire Food.  Is there a better show than that?  No there is not.  

First layer was a penne in a cheesy bechamel sauce.  For the bechamel sauce, I followed the recipe here, except I doubled the amount of cheese:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/cheesy-bechamel-sauce-recipe-335001

For the hot sauce I used this stuff that has truffle oil blended in:

Find this, buy this.  It’s unreal.  The second layer was a three cheese blend - swiss, monterey jack, and white cheddar:

Then came the pulled brisket for the third layer, which was lightly sauced with a mix of Franklin’s bbq sauce and Bone Sucking sauce:

Then came a fourth layer of blue cheese, because... why not?

Then another coating of penne with the bechamel sauce:

And a sixth layer of the three cheese blend:

Then I brushed on a mix of truffle oil and dark sesame oil:

Finally the last and seventh layer, a mix of blue cheese and panko bread crumbs:

This was smoked in the BGE at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, then finished under the broiler in the oven to crisp up the top:

Plated and served with broccolini and a zucchini/summer squash salad:

The brisket mac and cheese is ridiculous.  I will definitely be making this again. The truffle really comes through.  You’d think it would be way too rich but the flavors all come together incredibly well.  

I originally posted this in trim's playoff thread, not realizing that 1) he'd 86'd it and 2) it was for the weekend before.  Oh well.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I would ask for a big a$$ scoop of that if I were there.  Looks great!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Looks fantastic! I'd slam it. 

Did you make that three cheese blend? 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Damn...You Win!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColtsFan said:
    Looks fantastic! I'd slam it. 

Did you make that three cheese blend? 
    I did, yeah.  I grated a block of white cheddar and Monterey Jack, then mixed it in with a bag of grated swiss.  
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Beautiful, need to add this to the lineup.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Sammi said:
    Beautiful, need to add this to the lineup.
    You won't be disappointed.  It's a lot of work, but worth it.  It's very very rich in the end, so you can feed a lot of people with one casserole.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited January 2019
    As Uma Thurman said in Pulp Fiction, "God Da-m, God Da-n."  Great creativity and cook right there.  What a pan of goodness.
    However, how did you arrive at sacrificing pulled brisket...??  Somehow I think I could find a substitute.  ;)  
    Edit:  I just saw your post on the throwdown thread - I understand the screwing over of the brisket but will just file an objection  ;)  Regardless, that at one labor intensive cook and a great outcome.  That is definitely raising the bar in 2019. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Great looking dish right there! Well done!!!!

Brandon - Ohio

• lousubcap said:
    As Uma Thurman said in Pulp Fiction, "God Da-m, God Da-n."  Great creativity and cook right there.  What a pan of goodness.
    However, how did you arrive at sacrificing pulled brisket...??  Somehow I think I could find a substitute.  ;) 
    I had planned on making both brisket burnt ends and this casserole for awhile.  Sometimes a whole packer needs to be sacrificed in the name of experimentation.  

Of course the packer really did turn out very well.  But it wasn't done until way past dinner time last night.   Such is life.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I just edited the above based on recent info.  What a cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Lotta different flavors going on there.
    Truffle oil (black or white?) AND dark sesame oil - gonna have to try that.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG said:
    Lotta different flavors going on there.
    Truffle oil (black or white?) AND dark sesame oil - gonna have to try that.
    Black in the hot stuff, white in the brush.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Well dammmit...so I go to buy some of that Truff hot sauce cuz I'm a sucker for new sauces to try and I see that Amazon has it so "click" and then the portal opened up and 20 minutes later I've spent $175 on sauces.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG said:
    Well dammmit...so I go to buy some of that Truff hot sauce cuz I'm a sucker for new sauces to try and I see that Amazon has it so "click" and then the portal opened up and 20 minutes later I've spent $175 on sauces.
    Hahaha brother.  We’ve all been there.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You did good. Real good. There’s a lot going on in that pan. 

But im gonna need a video or something about nailing that 3 cheese blend. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:

But im gonna need a video or something about nailing that 3 cheese blend. 
    I’ve searched for one, but it only seems to apply to pizza.  I’ll keep looking.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I can show you a good video on how to cut a pizza with scissors. Changed my life. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I would say something profound, however I think I’ll just drool on myself—that is Batman good,  POW—ZAM—ARRR
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • That looks really wonderful, and definitely not the same old, same old. Great work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    personally I think you could have squeezed in another layer or two, but that said, fine work.  Spicoli would have been proud.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I think you should name this “Award-winning Mac and Cheese”
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I agree with Nola, also we expect to have some at BB.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    That looks amazing.  Would have been an award winner a week ago.  

Totally nailed the three cheese blend.   You must’ve done that many times before!

nice work.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    HeavyG said:
    Hahaha brother.  We’ve all been there.
    Just went on amazon as well and picked up the truff hot sauce as well as an assortment of yellow bird hot sauces. Damn this forum sometimes 😂 

Brandon - Ohio

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Looks amazing John, I’m thinking each forkful is in the neighborhood of $7.50 based on the ingredients. 

I never would’ve thought that two strong flavors like truffle and sesame oils would go well together. Will have to give this a try. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike said:
    Looks amazing John, I’m thinking each forkful is in the neighborhood of $7.50 based on the ingredients. 

I never would’ve thought that two strong flavors like truffle and sesame oils would go well together. Will have to give this a try. 
    Thanks Mike! Your rig and routine cooks are pretty well set up for making this, given how often you’re making brisket.  

The wife said the same about the flavors.  You expect it to be overpowering, but it’s not.  Still very rich, but it’s one of those dishes that’s hard to eat just one serving.  
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Looks amazing- went to find the hot sauce on line and the first review made me pause... and laugh. 

Greensboro, NC
  • @Wolfpack - yikes!  Sounds like the reviewer got a bad bottle, because the sauce is red, not gray.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    @Wolfpack , The sauce is awesome....see what I did there? Seriously though , got two bottles for Christmas. It is very good!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.