Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOBOT???

Options
There has to be quite a few of long time Smobot owners out here that can let me know how this holds up to staying pretty clean and functional. I'm very close to buying one since this makes the most sense in controlling temp. Also like that it comes with two meat probes. My only apprehension is the damper control getting gummed  up overtime. Does the app allow for setting temperature alarms?

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I’ve only used mine once and I really enjoyed it also yes temp alarms. Pit, and probe alarms 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    I have used mine many times but have only had it for several months. It does get greasy, but it is easy to get loose. I suppose you could clean it real easy if one wanted to. I might clean mine up after 20 or so more cooks. 

Most important thing that I have found is that it needs to be starved of air when cooking low and slow and it will work perfectly. Bottom vent only open about 1/2" or so. Also make sure the auto (green light) is on. I change between the LBGE and the XLBGE without issue. It makes overnight cooks a breeze.

The app works great with a grate probe, 2 meat probes, alarms, and adjustable temp. from anywhere. I am sure other controllers work perfectly as well, but I chose the Smobot, and have been extremely pleased with its performance.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    Second to all the above comments.... I’m a new user as well but was very impressed with setup and first overnight cook this past weekend. 

As far as cleaning.... It won’t look this pretty after using but I thought I saw a video on their website or YouTube that showed how to clean it. Seemed pretty simple. 

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I have a beta unit that we’ve used probably 50ish times. The only thing that I’ve had a problem with is one of the temp probs going bad(not a big deal)   I love the thing, for monitoring cooks when at work.  It lets me monitor temps of meat and pit while 50 miles away.  I’m able to adjust temp up on the pit and let my wife know when it’s time to wrap or pull meat off the grill. 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    bubbajack said:
    I have used mine many times but have only had it for several months. It does get greasy, but it is easy to get loose. I suppose you could clean it real easy if one wanted to. I might clean mine up after 20 or so more cooks. 

Most important thing that I have found is that it needs to be starved of air when cooking low and slow and it will work perfectly. Bottom vent only open about 1/2" or so. Also make sure the auto (green light) is on. I change between the LBGE and the XLBGE without issue. It makes overnight cooks a breeze.

The app works great with a grate probe, 2 meat probes, alarms, and adjustable temp. from anywhere. I am sure other controllers work perfectly as well, but I chose the Smobot, and have been extremely pleased with its performance.
    You may very well have air leaks somewhere else.  I regularly leave my bottom vent 1/2 to 3/4 of the way open and the smobot maintains 250 no problem.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I only average about once a week and use smobot for most cooks and it doesn't get too gunked up. If needed, it's not tough to clean.
    Stillwater, MN
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I wouldn’t worry about it gunking up.  It might get stuck, but you can easily pop it free.  There is a video on their website.  I usually leave my bottom damper about 1/3 open and can hold about any temp I want (except for really high temps, in which case, I’m not using the Smobot.)
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet