Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mama's Christmas Tenderloins

Options
The tenderloins turned out to be a hit. As always, my pup got the first try to make sure that the meat was okay to serve. He went crazy for it. Served it to the party and all ten pounds were gone pretty shortly after. Ended up cooking for about twenty minutes a side at 400 and brought it up at the end for a couple of minutes on each side. Ended up coming out medium rare in the middle to medium well on the sides. I appreciate all the advice, mama was happy. Next time I'll get more creative and try the advice on the slow, indirect cook and reverse sear at the end. Getting a heat deflector for the grill now. 

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Awesome! And great username btw.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    That's money.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thanks! The one thing I was off on was placing the temp probe. At first I had it too far into the tenderloin to the bottom so the temp was reading higher than was accurate. I think the issue was trying to place it quickly to stop the fire building when the lid was open. I think smoking it at the lower temp will put less pressure on throwing it in there.. Also, the thickest part was a little less done than I hoped. Guess I had trouble balancing the fact that the small end was certainly done and the need to cook the big end more. Guests still cleaned the serving plate pretty quickly though.  B)
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    Some of you more experienced guys answer up, but with the hotter temps being at the back of the egg wouldn't it help with the op's concerns if the larger part of the cut were to the back?  Steak, it looks like an amazing cook to me!
    Carrollton, Va
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    That was an awesome looking tenderloin or 2
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Chief9 said:
    Some of you more experienced guys answer up, but with the hotter temps being at the back of the egg wouldn't it help with the op's concerns if the larger part of the cut were to the back?  Steak, it looks like an amazing cook to me!
    Better to sear it first then drop temps to 250 and roast to finish. 

Not too much hotter back there at 250

Also. Be warned. Focker does not approve of tenderloin. You need to cook only pork butt and pizza. 

People, please check with him first re your holiday dinner menu. Then he'll check to see what Kenji said, screen shot it, and post "his" opinion for you.