Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char Siu Waygu beef ribs

Options
smokingal
smokingal Posts: 1,025
edited December 2018 in EggHead Forum

Char Siu is something I haven’t eaten much as it is mostly made from pork.  My last attempt was back in 2015 when I had no access to a smoker and attempted to use the oven.  It did not go well. I used the NOH Char Siu powered mix pictured below on some lamb ribs and found it to be much too sweet.

For this go-round I used a touch of it for the color and mostly used the Lee Kum Kee
sauce and beef broth for the marinade.  This sauce is much more balanced in terms of both flavor and overall sweetness.  Future attempts at this will use a sauce made from scratch.

I polished off the last slab of Wagyu beef ribs I purchased from Lone Mountain Wagyu for this
cook.

photo IMG_20181201_235226_DRO_zpso3wpd7mhjpg

photo IMG_20181202_002649_DRO_zpsyclzmnudjpg

photo IMG_20181202_002707_DRO_zps6rphwlnfjpg

The ribs marinaded overnight and were quickly dried off and tossed on the Egg at 235-240F.

photo IMG_20181202_004906_DRO_zpsn6kynrtrjpg

photo IMG_20181202_131558_DRO_zps6wjyw3apjpg

Beef broth and the Char Siu sauce were blended together and used to glaze the ribs after they
had cooked for around 3 hours.  They were glazed every 45 minutes.

photo IMG_20181202_163347_DRO_zpsdeh7zv65jpg

After 5.5 hours the rib meat had retracted enough from the bone and they appeared to be
very juicy and tender.  I pulled and FTC’d them while I prepared the sides.

photo IMG_20181202_182410_DRO_zpscrprev2bjpg

Forbidden rice and a spinach salad topped with a sesame ginger vinaigrette, fried wontons
and toasted sliced almonds were prepared and dinner was served.

photo IMG_20181202_211509_DRO_zpshanqak1wjpg

photo IMG_20181202_213003_DRO_zps4u1oxlegjpg

photo IMG_20181202_213225_DRO_zps97b3cepqjpg

photo IMG_20181202_213113_DRO_zpso8bpt0wtjpg

photo IMG_20181202_213132_DRO_zpsdmq2ac6ljpg

The ribs had a very light touch of sweetness which quickly dissipated when the rich, beefiness
of the Wagyu came through, providing a nice balance of flavor.  I love the hearty, nutty flavor
of forbidden rice, as well as its health benefits.  Paired with the spinach salad, I didn’t feel so
bad for consuming so much saturated fat.  Good eats.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Awesome as usual ! Looks like I'm making Top Ramen again
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have 2 racks of ridiculous looking flanken cut wagyu shorties looking for a home. Travelling this week but this may be on the docket when I get back.

btw- My fennel pollen came in today. Really interesting flavor. I added it to some Zatar Chicken thighs I grilled for lunch. Very nice flavor but has that fennel-y punch in the background (which I love). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I definitely don't orbit at your level but I am all in for beef ribs.  And here we are with great ribs, magazine quality pics and a banquet off the charts.  Dang- a skill-set and passion I could only dream about.  FWIW-
    I gather you don't use the famous tooth-pick test to declare victory. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokingal
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker   Those ribs sound like they will be delicious.  I splurged a bit this week and bought some myself, though I'm debating trying something simpler in terms of seasoning.  Nice score on the fennel pollen.  Enjoy.

@lousubcap Thanks for the compliment.  I've never used a toothpick to determine tenderness, but on thicker cuts, I will use a temp. probe using the same technique.  With beef back and lamb ribs, I can tell by sight and touch.
    Arteflame grill grate

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Wowza is all I can come up with Smoking Al   ;)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @bucky925 She might well kick your a$$- it's smokingal as in smokin gal not smoking al.  So be wary  ;) 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    @lousubcap  I knew it was smokin gal,(my poor attempt at humor) and I'm quite certain she can kick my arse both literally and grilling wise.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    And another cook knocked out of the park! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Absolutely beautiful cook and exceptional presentation. This is indeed what I, the slacker, when it comes to beef ribs requires to get my backside in gear.
    Thank you for this post.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You are inspiring a lot of people here with your cooks.   Incredible.  Nice work!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @smokingal
    Cesar Hernandez salutes you sister👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Those ribs look delicious. Another first class cook. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smokingal
    Options
    So weird that @SGH checked out this older post.  I was literally dreaming about these ribs last night.  That's some weird BBQ ESP stuff.
    Arteflame grill grate

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    smokingal said:
    So weird that @SGH checked out this older post.  
    Sister I’m a little over 2 years behind on the forum. Now that I’m home I’m trying to catch up on what I have missed👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.