Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza is dialed in

Options
I have been making pizza for a while now but I have not been satisfied with the results.  I think I finally have it figured out.  The recipe I am using calls for 00 flour, salt, sugar, yeast and oil. I also cold ferment at least 24 hours. I usually make enough dough for 2 pies and freeze half.  This pizza is from a frozen dough ball and it still raised nicely.  The grill set up is raised indirect about 3 inches above the felt line on a 5/8 baking steel. Using a torch I get the fire going in a couple spots, put the defector and baking steel in and close the lid. With both the top and bottom wide open I let the temp get to about 500 dome temp.  I place the pizza on parchment paper, but after about 1 minute I pull the paper out. Four minutes later I rotate 180 and in about another 4 to 6 minutes I pull the pizza.  I get nice spotting on the bottom and the pepperonis get nice and crusty just how we like it.

Medium BGE, Large KJ, 22 Backstone, vintage U.S. made Treager, 

Sioux Falls SD

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Looks great. Keep up the good work.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    wow good work, can you ellaborate more on the dough recipe?  we are doing keto now but will have family in town for the holidays and they are not so i can throw together some of this for them it would go great and easy to do.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    Looks great. You can sub high protein bread flour if you can’t get 00. We moved away from sugar and oil due to my customer getting scorching in his wood fired oven. Your pizza looks great!
  • gregroscoe
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the flour. I will post the recipe tonight.

Sioux Falls SD

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    looks fantastic nicely done

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • gregroscoe
    Options
    This recipe is enough to make 2 14 inch dough balls.  I combine the water and yeast in a separate glass and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Then combine all ingredients adding the salt last. I mix on low in a kitchen aid for maybe five minutes.   I form into two balls, lightly cover them in oil and into the fridge for 24ish hour.  I remove and pull them right away then let them sit for and hour or two.

water 105 to 110 degrees       355g
    yeast                                        11g
    salt                                            6g
    sugar                                       17g
    00 flour                                   540g
    oil                                            2tbsp  +enough to coat the dough balls

Sioux Falls SD

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Looks like a perfect char. Beautiful.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looks great from here.  Keep 'em coming
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. Pies look great!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota