Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey for Friendsgiving

Options
Doing a turkey Saturday for "Friendsgiving" . I have a 20lb that is frozen but I am trying to thaw it in the fridge.  Might not make it by Saturday morning so I will just go buy one.  No one sells fresh turkeys over here until Saturday morning (trader joes) so I will have missed the letting it sit in the fridge.  Would really like crispy skin though.  SO if it doesn't thaw I will get 2 14 lb turkeys and setup my AR rig for indirect?  what temp do people suggest?  Will try to use Mickey's method I but I cannot find that expresso coffee that he tells us to use.  Any replacements?  I also have DP raging river so I was going to use that on the 2nd turkey.  so pull at 155 breast?  and legs toward the back hing with breasts to the front?

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I'd throw it in a brine solution now as it (a) might help with speeding up the thawing process and (b) i never do a turkey without it anymore based of the results of my last few cooks.  I like this recipe if you're looking for one - https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/my-favorite-turkey-brine/

I made up a garlic and herb butter that I put under the skin on one bird, and on top for the second, there wasn't a difference so for convenience I wouldn't separate the skin to season and then put back, I'd just do the outside.  If you wanted to you could inject 

For the skin to render I got better results by letting the smoke go blue and the temp stable at 325-350.  This rendered out the fat and prevented a rubbery skin, I was planning to finish with a little direct heat but the skin was perfect without this step.  I did spritz the bird with spray butter throughout the cook so that might have helped.

Breast should be 155-160, dark meat 165-170 and then check the juices run clear.  the residual heat will carry over the rest of the way 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    blakeas said:
    Doing a turkey Saturday for "Friendsgiving" . I have a 20lb that is frozen but I am trying to thaw it in the fridge.  Might not make it by Saturday morning so I will just go buy one.  No one sells fresh turkeys over here until Saturday morning (trader joes) so I will have missed the letting it sit in the fridge.  Would really like crispy skin though.  SO if it doesn't thaw I will get 2 14 lb turkeys and setup my AR rig for indirect?  what temp do people suggest?  Will try to use Mickey's method I but I cannot find that expresso coffee that he tells us to use.  Any replacements?  I also have DP raging river so I was going to use that on the 2nd turkey.  so pull at 155 breast?  and legs toward the back hing with breasts to the front?
    I just use Starbucks Expresso Roast beans and grind them fine in a spice grinder. It seemed to work fine.