Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cooling down brisket more prior to trimming.

dstearndstearn Posts: 1,230
edited September 12 in EggHead Forum
I received a SRF brisket last Friday rock solid frozen. It thawed out pretty much and is now sitting in our new fridge that was delivered yesterday. I had the brisket in cooler while the new fridge was being hooked up. My question is, should I set the fridge a little cooler than the standard settings or should I pop the brisket in the freezer for a bit prior to trimming to make sure the fat firm enough to slice. I will be setting it on the egg Friday night.

Comments

• 20stone20stone Posts: 1,657
    Three quick comments:
    • If your knives are sharp enough, the temp range for the brisket can be pretty wide for trimming.  
    • As a general practice, I run my fridge at the cold end of the range anyway, and would probably do that, brisket or no.
    • The risk with the freezer is that your refreeze some of the meat, which is no bueno from a meat quality standpoint.
    Recommendation:
    • Sharpen your knive
    • Put it in a very cold fridge for a bit
    Two last bits of advice:
    • If you haven't done an SRF before, they tend to be done (the right amount of jiggly) at a lower temp than a generic brisket.  I have seen them pulled (by people who know what they're doing) and pulled them myself as low as 185F, and sub 190F is typical
    • You don't really need sides (besides, perhaps, some onions or pickles for a palate wipe).  Just feed everyone off of the cutting board right as you slice
    Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • dstearndstearn Posts: 1,230
    20stone said:
    Three quick comments:
    • If your knives are sharp enough, the temp range for the brisket can be pretty wide for trimming.  
    • As a general practice, I run my fridge at the cold end of the range anyway, and would probably do that, brisket or no.
    • The risk with the freezer is that your refreeze some of the meat, which is no bueno from a meat quality standpoint.
    Recommendation:
    • Sharpen your knive
    • Put it in a very cold fridge for a bit
    Two last bits of advice:
    • If you haven't done an SRF before, they tend to be done (the right amount of jiggly) at a lower temp than a generic brisket.  I have seen them pulled (by people who know what they're doing) and pulled them myself as low as 185F, and sub 190F is typical
    • You don't really need sides (besides, perhaps, some onions or pickles for a palate wipe).  Just feed everyone off of the cutting board right as you slice
    Thanks, I will turn the fridge up a notch.
  • GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 2,259
    Down
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

LBGE, XLBGE, Smobot, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

GrillSgt said:
    Down
    On my fridge you have to increase the setting to set it cooler.

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,986
    GrillSgt said:
    Down
    Kind like SWMBO and, "Turn down the air-conditioning".  Just what does that mean...
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
    1-7 on a Whirlpool 7 is the coolest. I set my to 5 for now, 4 is the default. setting. 
  • Cut the lights on
    South of Columbus, Ohio.