Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would a cracked Firebox impact max temp achievable?

Options

I've had a cracked firebox for a few years and have lived with it as I saw no adverse impact from the situation.  However now I have started to make pizzas on the BFE (they turn out great btw) but I can only get a max dome temp of 650.  I'm making sure my firebox opening is facing the grate and I clean it out completely before use and use fresh BGE charcoal.  About the only thing I have left to vary is the amount of charcoal in the firebox (I will try putting in more at the next cook).  However, take a look at the photo of the cracked firebox, as you can see it leaves open a gap about one inch by four.  My guess is that air rushes in that opening preferentially and therefore maybe the coal isn't burning evenly and giving off the max heat it could give off otherwise.  Does that sound like a possibility?  I've put in a request for a replacement regardless and it'll likely take a few months to arrive.  I should likely get another thermometer to check temp right at the plate setter since that is the real temp of interest for pizza.  Any ideas on what the temp there would be if the dome is 650?

Comments