Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Cap in Rain/Snow?

Options
One of the most frustrating things about low and slow cooks in the Midwest is the weather.  Hard to predict and often difficult to find a full day without ANY precipitation.  I'd seen the Smokeware cap in a couple of adds and it seems to be designed to handle that issue... the BGE's enamel coating seems to be well-designed for inclement weather. 

I picked up a Smokeware cap about a week ago - had seen some posts about it being loose on the original gasket and I ran into the same problem; replaced it with the one they included and it was nice and snug.  I was very pleased with how it controlled temps during an afternoon rib cook on Saturday.  Has anyone had any experience using it in rain or snow?  Does the cap more or less "weather-proof" the egg in that scenario?  Would also be curious if and how you cleaned it afterward?

Thanks in advance - this forum has been such a great place to get good info and advice!

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Yup. Keeps out the wet stuff. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    That's the main reason I bought mine.  
    High winds will still screw up your cook, however.  

I've since purchased a Smobot, and haven't figured out a way to marry the two, yet.  Since Global Warming now keeps rain from falling here, it may be a moot point.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes it keeps the rain out. I've used them for years in both cold, snowy season as well as the Spring time down pours. When mine have gotten so ugly and hard to turn then I just bag them after spraying with "Easy Clean" oven cleaner. Wear disposal gloves and just give the cleaner time to do its stuff.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You'll be fine. With or without the Smokeware cap. My solution is, never egg if there is the slightest chance of rain. Used to, when I had only 19 posts. Got tired of cooking in the rain. That's what kitchens are for. :rofl:

BTW, the ceramic is glazed, not painted.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited August 2018
    Options
    No kidding my city, Lynn, MA, got 8 frickin inches of rain yesterday. Egg lit real early, with a smoke ware cap, and it powered thru the storm like a champ. Just buy one. They are mint. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have cooked in rain and snow with it. No issues whatsoever.
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    I cook year round in rain and snow with mine in Ottawa otherwise there would only be 10-15 cook days a year  :)  

Clean with oven cleaner as suggested by @RRP.

• chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Options
    kaybee said:
    I cook year round in rain and snow with mine in Ottawa 

Another a Ottawa smokeware year ‘round cooker here!  Rain, snow, whatever. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Why clean it? Never cleaned my daisy wheel, had to beat it open and closed some days. Never have cleaned my SW cap either. The grease helps it open and close easier for those “fine” adjustments 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Never had an issue with the daisy. We have a lot of rain this year and if the pattern does not change a snowy winter incoming. I cook in all of it. I got the Smokeware cap cause it looks cool and works even better. Cook on man,don't sweat the small stuff 8^)
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sorry....I have to do this....

https://youtu.be/akT1amr1KrA

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow