Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What went wrong?

Options

2 racks pork back ribs each cut in half for 4 slabs. Dry rub in fridge overnite. 5.5hrs in the egg @250deg. Ended up all dried out.

Too long?

Too high?

what did I do wrong?

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I suspect too long a cook.  Ribs, for me, generally take about 4 hours. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2018
    Options
    5.5 hours without wrapping? Yeah, that sounds like a recipe for dry ribs. I do 3-1-1, 3 hours exposed, 1 hour wrapped in foil, then 1 hour exposed with a sauce glaze.  

Did you use a plate setter?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    dome temp accurate? Were they naked the whole time? Ribs don't usually dry out when overcooked but fall apart....Pics? Did they look like this? these are overcooked, if the meat was not pulled away from the bone then undercooked

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The_Smoking_Gnu
    The_Smoking_Gnu Posts: 12
    edited August 2018
    Options

no wrapper. Plate setter in legs-up. Rib rack set on grate. monitored temp using dome therm and Thermoworks Smoke ambient monitor.

Meat looked pulled away from bone a bit.

Sounds like too long/exposed. Ill try the 3-1-1. Sounds like a winner.

thanks a bunch

Gnu out.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds undercooked    How did you test them for doneness?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I've tried 3-2-1 before and the meat was too soft. Just play around with it until you get the desired outcome. I'm a firm believer in wrapping everything.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    These were about 4 hours 275 Ish 3-.75-.30- I know an odd combo but I only wrap to speed things up and unwrap as quickly as I can

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @StillH2OEgger has the key to success.  Always trust the toothpick-start early as it doesn't take much effort to execute.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Question kind sir.  

What is the 250° derived from and is that from a calibrated source?  

Could be undercooked if your temps were too low.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I use Car Wash Mike’s method which does not have a foil step and never had them dry out.  My ribs are usually on at least 5hrs total but it varies and there’s some misting involved, bottom line is they are done when they feel done and look done.  Going off of time alone isn’t a good method, leave the timer for baking.  Good excuse to buy more ribs and try again!
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Add a drip tray with water to increase the moisture in the egg. Looks like the drippings on the plate setter were burning which can effect your flavor
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I would be willing to be that your issue here was the overnight in the fridge with rub on them ( I am assuming they were not wrapped up- if they were, this would not likely be the culprit). With the salt content in most rubs, that is essentially a dry brine if left on there that long. Ribs are thin enough that they likely would brine all the way through overnight. That salt will pull all the liquid out and the fridge will evaporate that liquid if they are not covered. 
    Good point, that’s probably why Car Wash Mike says to only leave the rubbed ribs in the fridge for 2 hours max.  I found his instructions on here back when I got my egg in 2011 and haven’t strayed very far from it since.  Think I’ll do some this weekend with my new AR setup! 
  • SonVolt
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Wait - were these baby back ribs? If so, 5.5 hours is WAY too long IMO. My advice was for spareribs. 
  • The_Smoking_Gnu
    Options

"What is the 250° derived from and is that from a calibrated source?"

Temps were monitored using a Thermoworks Smoke ambient probe and the native dome thermometer.

"I would be willing to bet that your issue here was the overnight in the fridge with rub on them ( I am assuming they were not wrapped up- if they were, this would not likely be the culprit). With the salt content in most rubs, that is essentially a dry brine if left on there that long."

Overnite rub was wrapped in plastic.

"Sounds undercooked    How did you test them for doneness? "

pulled on the bones to feel how loose.

Gonna go look up CarWashMike.

thx ,all

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Ribs are just about the only meat I inject. It’s a pain but yields good results. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The only thing I might add to Cen-Tex is that ribs standing up in a rack don't get even heat. The portions up closer to the dome get more heat.In my experience, the slabs need to be rotated during the cook to cook evenly.

Also, when you took the half slabs off, did they bend? If not, under done, or burnt stiff.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Baby back or loin back ribs are leaner than the stl or spare cut. They require less time. 4 hours at the temp you mentioned would be plenty. Toothpick test is your guide to doneness rather than time. Every piece of protein is different. It’s not uncommon for each rack of ribs to cook slightly different even during the same  cook. Also, the moist environment of the egg generally cooks everything a bit faster than generic recipes. Use the time as a general guide and either temp the meat or poke it for ribs and brisket. Keep at it. It’s worth it. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    they didn't look overcooked.  as Centex said, salt on ribs will brine them overnight.  I noticed years ago that salting (pre-rubbing  or brining) pork ribs has the opposite effect as it does on other meats where you expect it to be juicier and more tender.

based on my experience I add the rub/seasoning/salt right before they go on the grill, or *after* SV.
    they didn't look overcooked.  as Centex said, salt on ribs will brine them overnight.  I noticed years ago that salting (pre-rubbing  or brining) pork ribs has the opposite effect as it does on other meats where you expect it to be juicier and more tender.

based on my experience I add the rub/seasoning/salt right before they go on the grill, or *after* SV.
    same here. That is a long time in the salt for ribs. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    When I season the night before, I wrap tightly in saran wrap. That seems to help mitigate moisture loss since there is no evaporation. Judean People's Front vs. The People's Front of Judea.
  • The_Smoking_Gnu
    Options
    Thanks all for the input. Made several more racks StL cut using variances on the 3-1-1 format and all were fabulous. The overnite brine is what trashed my first effort.

since then I’ve also done a pork butt overnite without a blower/controller thing.
    A little anxious going to bed that nite but the results were really amazing.
    Thx again.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Glad you fixed it, ribs are my favorite 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    There really is no reason to put water in a pan in the egg that I have seen.  Unless you need a heat sink.  I have never had an issue with not enough moisture in my egg.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.