Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Reverse Sear

Welllll ladies and gents, I finally convinced myself to try the reverse sear method.  I was at Costco last weekend and they had some really nice tomahawks....so I told my wife "next weekend, babe".  They only have them on Fri and Saturday mornings.  Today, I go into Costco....NO FRIGGIN TOMAHAWKS!!!  I ended up going to a meat market and buying a couple pretty thick bone-in ribeyes.  

Any tips?
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem.

Comments

• 1 1/4 lb Ribeye 
    DP Rasing the Steaks Rub 
    Salt/Pepper
    EVOO
    Butter Pad (mixed with Italian Seasoning) 

235 with 1 piece of hickory until 115 IT. 
    Rest.......
    600 1 min per side
    Rest 8min lightly foiled with a butter pad.  
    Atlanta, GA 

Large BGE, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E 310 
  • RajunCajunRajunCajun Posts: 587
    1 1/4 lb Ribeye 
    DP Rasing the Steaks Rub 
    Salt/Pepper
    EVOO
    Butter Pad (mixed with Italian Seasoning) 

235 with 1 piece of hickory until 115 IT. 
    Rest.......
    600 1 min per side
    Rest 8min lightly foiled with a butter pad.  

Thanks for the tip.  I have ...like a 3" thick slab of meat.  What degree of doneness did you yield?  Medium rare?
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem.
  • When I pull it at 115, this is what it yields after a sear at 600 1min per side. And the butter pads. 
    My goal is medium rare. 

Here is another cook with the same method. 

Atlanta, GA 

Large BGE, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E 310 
  • FrostyEggFrostyEgg Posts: 210
    edited August 11
    Pulling at 115 is pretty standard based on previous threads. Then sear hot 60-90 seconds per side depending on preference. I get a consistent medium rare wall to wall every time.
  • RajunCajunRajunCajun Posts: 587
    I gotta say, it takes a little more time to do the RS method, but it certainly yields outstanding results.  I went 240deg until an internal of 105 and seared at 600+ deg for a minute on each side.  Unbelievably delicious!!!!!!!  Definitely a do again.