Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thai Sweet Chile Ribs

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,487
One of the best ribs I've made, this recipe is a keeper.  Or, at least the way I mangled the recipe.  It called for boiling the ribs in a pressure cooker first, then finishing on the grill.  I didn't want to get banninated so I slow-smoked them (hickory) at 275º (I really love my SmoBot!).  Since they weren't boiled in apple juice, I added the juice to the sauce instead (also had lime, soy sauce, fish sauce, and the sweet chile sauce in it).  And I didn't have apple juice, so used some orange juice concentrate instead.  I did have some of the dried shrimp the recipe called for, but they've been in my cupboard since the Carter Administration so I passed on those.  

Started them at 0800 and by One-thirty, the bones still weren't showing and they didn't pass the bend test.  I was starving so I removed the ribs, cranked Mr. Egg up to 500º (did I mention I really love my SmoBot?), sauced the ribs, and back into the grill for 5 or 10 minutes to carmelize.  Sprinkled w/ crushed peanuts, scallion, cilantro and lime juice.  Juicy, and just enough chew, pulled cleanly off the bone but didn't fall off.  

Made a green papaya salad to go with (dumb question: is a green papaya just an unripe one (orange, in my case)?).  A green one might've been better with the green beans and tomatoes in the salad, and a mandoline is NOT the right tool for a ripe papaya!  Very tasty, though.

Thanks for looking!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments