Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT:Possible Overseas Purchase?

Options
https://www.thetileapp.com/en-eu/store/tiles/mate?utm_campaign=sb_brand-core_nat-usa_exact&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=75797619107532&utm_term=tile keychain-e&adgroup=keys | tile keychain

Somebody, not naming any names, misplaced their key chain for a day and a half. This seems like a good solution but it raises several questions. First, I have never purchased anything directly from overseas. Is my US dollar credit card good for paying for a purchase in Euros? Second, how secure would this purchase be. Third, would I need to notify the credit card company.

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    edited June 2018
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    edited June 2018
    Options
    i seen something in the reviews, it sounded like they change software when they up the model and old tiles no longer work with the service, updated tiles are sold at a discount to "members".  i dont see anything about that on the site so not sure if that correct

edit......

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    Options

Once I found out a replacement key for my car was $400 (and panicked because I thought I had lost one), I bought these for each of the family cars.  They only last about a year, but its cheap insurance.

The 'Pro series' tiles have better range, louder volume, and are waterproof.  I buy them in 2 packs, and they are $30/each.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I got them for free at a tradeshow once.  Put them on the keys, used them once- they surely work.  When we upgraded phones, batteries wore out- never went back to them.  

The feature that 'other people' can help is a nice community feature but I cant say I ever see anyone else with tiles on their keys.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy I doubt your card company will be bothered if the shipping and billing addresses are the same. I buy in the US no problem. They will convert to US dollars and charge that to your card, the rate is normally OK.

The only extra apart from shipping will be import. Not sure what happens in the US, here if it's declared over a certain value they add duty, which is not much, but then they add a handling fee / customs fee, which can add up. Smaller traders can massage the item value a bit to meet the limits, probably not these guys though.

If you are bothered about ordering from Europe, I can buy for you and then ship as a gift. No customs issues then.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Eoin said:
    @Gulfcoastguy I doubt your card company will be bothered if the shipping and billing addresses are the same. I buy in the US no problem. They will convert to US dollars and charge that to your card, the rate is normally OK.

The only extra apart from shipping will be import. Not sure what happens in the US, here if it's declared over a certain value they add duty, which is not much, but then they add a handling fee / customs fee, which can add up. Smaller traders can massage the item value a bit to meet the limits, probably not these guys though.

If you are bothered about ordering from Europe, I can buy for you and then ship as a gift. No customs issues then.
    Thanks but it seems like Amazon also sells it and I get free shipping as a Prime member. That way any duties are already baked into the price. I appreciate the offer though.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Well I ordered two of these through Amazon, a Tile Style and a Tile Sport. The Tile Style arrived dead as a doornail and the Tile Sport worked just fine. Is trying to get my $25.00 plus shipping back worth all of the aggravation? If I return the defective one to Amazon will they just repackage it and resell it?