Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooler impact on brisket temp

Options
got a nice 8 pound flat for tomorrow.   Planning to wrap at 165 and remove at 195.  

Quick question— for the best brisket I ever had, the cook told me he let it still in a cooler for 2hours post cook to maximize the juices.  

If I do this, does it change the temp I remove brisket from the egg?

thanks.

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    Pull it when its done and FTC! Some let it rest for a bit before FTC, but I just toss it right in.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Pull it when its done and FTC! Some let it rest for a bit before FTC, but I just toss it right in.
    The problem with foiling right away and tossing it in is temp overshoot/carryover.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • doublesuited
    Options
    The problem with foiling right away and tossing it in is temp overshoot/carryover.
    That’s what I was getting at.  If you put in cooler, do you need to remove a bit early. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That’s what I was getting at.  If you put in cooler, do you need to remove a bit early. 
    You don’t, but you should let it rest for awhile before foiling it.  I think 5-10 min is good, but some folks go longer.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Carryover amount varies with the cooking temp.  Higher cooking temps (think turbo) create a greater internal temperature gradient which leads to more carryover. Adjust your time before FTC to account for your cooking temp.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• doublesuited
    Options
    Carryover amount varies with the cooking temp.  Higher cooking temps (think turbo) create a greater internal temperature gradient which leads to more carryover. Adjust your time before FTC to account for your cooking temp.

Thanks.  SInce I cook at 225-240, I should be good with a shorter (15 min) rest period before wrapping and putting in cooler 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    If I need to wrap immediately and hold for several hours, I’ll pull one early in anticipation of carry over.