Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Smobot

Options
GrillSgt
GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
This thing is the bomb. I bought one early this year when they had the big sale (or maybe late last year). The first time I tried to use it I had an issue (don't remember what) so I put it back on the shelf. Had another small issue this time and called and got a great response promptly. I had already solved the issue. Well this thing is unreal.

However I do have an issue. It seems that I get knocked off every hour or two and have to log back in. I believe that it is still connected as the 5am alarm I got for temp was accompanied by the error notice. Anyone else have this problem?

This is the only controller I have used so I can't judge any of the others but I can't imagine anything being better.

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have the Smobot, and I think I know what you are saying. I keep mine on line, during the entire cook, and infrequently check the status.

I have yet to be knocked off, so to speak, but I do "refresh" the page.

It is nice to have the graph to monitor the cook, but the Smobot, as far as I am concerned, is "set and forget". Incredible product, and glad I bought it, November, last year, on sale.

I did have one problem, one of the leads went bad, for whatever reason, and was immediately replaced, after giving the entire system a check.

Great product, great service, one of the best purchases I have made for my BGE.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    I haven't encountered this problem.  Could be a network/router issue instead of a Smobot issue?
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    That is what I suspected. I live in the country and speed  as in high speed should be always followed by a ?.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    The Smobot is awesome.  I've never had the problem you describe.  When logging in,  I use the 'remember me' function, so I usually don't even log in from cook to cook.  

As pointed out above, maybe you have a wifi issue.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    The only time I had an issue was when I rebooted my router after Smobot was already running.  After reboot I couldn't reconnect to Smobot.  I cycled power to Smobot and everything worked fine after that.
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • GrillSgt
    Options
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    The only issue I have had with mine is losing the connection with my phone (little blue dot in corner of the unit goes off), but that was mainly this winter during cold weather, which may or may not have been the issue. No issues the last few times. Even when that happened, it only affected my monitoring of the cook because the temperature control was rock steady the whole time. Really like the simplicity and how well this product works.
    Stillwater, MN
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options

Hi Guys,

There's actually a new firmware release available for SMOBOT that has more robust Wi-Fi reconnect behavior in the event that the connection is lost for some reason.  The latest version is 3.4.

I believe firmware updates can be triggered from mysmobot.com these days, but I'm not sure I've tried recently..

Thanks!

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    SMOBOT is the bomb!  I have never had an issue with the connection to mysmobot.com.  The only issue I had was when I closed the lid with the damper cable inside the egg.  It fried.  The only fix was to send it back for cable/controller replacement.  Service was great, I had it back in no time.  Call me late for dinner, but don't take my SMOBOT!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • GrillSgt
    Options

Hi Guys,

There's actually a new firmware release available for SMOBOT that has more robust Wi-Fi reconnect behavior in the event that the connection is lost for some reason.  The latest version is 3.4.

I believe firmware updates can be triggered from mysmobot.com these days, but I'm not sure I've tried recently..

Thanks!

I didn't see anything about 3.4 but I logged in, selected update and was told I had the latest version 1.1.  
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    I gather Curtis needs to make a small change behind the scenes to get www.mysmobot.com to point at the new firmware, which will be done soon.

In the meantime, you can get to the new firmware update by loading the "local page" from your smobot controller.

Just power-up your smobot, and when the blue light turns on (indicating it's connected to your wifi network), scroll down the smobot hardware interface to the line that shows an IP address.

If you type that IP address into the address bar of a web browser on another device that's also connected to your home wifi, a SMOBOT webpage will load.

Click on the update tab at the top, and you'll see that the available version is 4.  Click "update" and wait for a a couple of minutes.  You'll see the controller reboot twice during the update sequence.  Once it restarts and shows firmware version 4.3 on the welcome screen, you're all set!

• GrillSgt
    Options
    Great. Thanks 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    In case my wife calls any of you asking, yes this is what I want for my birthday.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Pics or it didn’t happen. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    So I’m getting a N/A at the IP. And yes Wifi says on. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Never mind it just popped up. 
  • GrillSgt
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That worked, thanks.