Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Silly Thoughts But Why Not

I see folks askin about adding smoke wood all the time.  I’ve got a theory that if the wood ignited/smolders it will carry on till the end off the stick.  
  I’m placing some oak slab pieces vertical in my lump for a butt cook tomorrow. My thoughts are once the the heat hits the stick it will smolder/burn until I kill the air.      

Size of sticks placed 

And placement in the large
What say you on these thoughts?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I had some 6” chunks and that’s how I used them. I really like Rockwood’s smaller chunks though 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    What caused your thoughts to sway to smaller chunks ?

analyze adapt overcome

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I do that all the time for wood I can get locally which is oak, hickory and apple. I do 1-4 sticks depending on what the protein is for low and slows.  I like it a lot better than chunks. 

Tip- I sometimes get the fire going stabilize and then shove the stick(s) vertically in the lump right before the protein goes on. That way works as well, especially if you can make it so it slides down as the bottom burns out. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited May 2018
    You get a more complete burn and you can better strategically place the chunks in the egg. Small enough to layer in the lump as well. Too many times I get partially burned chunks using the big stuff. Smaller chunks are a lot easier in the smaller eggs too. Also, I had a box of local chunks in the garage that ended up getting trashed by termites. I like that RW chunks are kiln dried. I dang sure don’t want to be introducing termites to my house. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    I will dig through my oak pile , find one about the diameter of the large , bury it horizontal mid way in the pile that's filled to the top...the is always a bit left after an overnighter..,hadn't thought of vertical but great idea 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I go with vertical stix whenever I can get some.  As long as the fire finds them it works well.  Have fun with the experiment.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited May 2018
    My days with the pit smoker taught me that slow smoldering wood was a bad thing, you want complete combustion else you get the nasty smoke. An egg doesn't work that way by design because it doesn't take in enough air so large chunks of wood would be counter productive, right?  What am I missing here? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Mattman3969
    I run my butts around 300-325 depending on what rub I’m using.  You are correct that the low temp doesn’t create CLEAN smoke but I really believe that the above temps make better smoke, maybe not as clean as a stick burner but better than 250 

analyze adapt overcome

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    SonVolt said:
    My days with the pit smoker taught me that slow smoldering wood was a bad thing, you want complete combustion else you get the nasty smoke. An egg doesn't work that way by design because it doesn't take in enough air so large chunks of wood would be counter productive, right?  What am I missing here? 
    You are right the Egg is a smoldering burn, but not so much that it runs " rich" it is however in no way like a stick burner 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    There have been a couple articles posted here over the years about the majority of smoke taste adhering to the meat early on in the cook, when the meat is still cold or at least room-temp and the hot water vapor/smoke condenses onto the protein.  
    For this reason I've always used a small fistful of chips, not chunks, and certainly not stakes, tossed on the top of the lump just as I'm adding the meat.  The visible smoke lasts 20 to 30 minutes, and then nothing for the remaining 1/2 to 20 hours, depending on the size of the meat.  
    I've never had "too little" smoke flavor, ever, but I've certainly over-smoked, over the years.  I just can't imagine an improvement using chunks, much less "stakes".  
    But I guess I should try it once, just to see.... 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    SonVolt said:
    Seems to make logical sense, but all I can tell you is that I tried a bunch of different ways of using wood chips and wood chunks, and chunks work better for me in my BGEs.  

I think a low-and-slow with a BGE inevitably is a smoldering fire.  It may be that having the whole fire in a stick burner being smoldering wood is bad, whereas in a BGE, most of the fire isn't wood, but clean-burning lump charcoal, and just a little of it in a low-and-slow cook is smoldering wood.  Dunno.  All I can tell you is that I use roughly fist-size chunks of wood instead of small wood chips, and I love the way smoked food from my BGE tastes.
  • Mattman3969
    I usually mix chunks in with the lump.  I’m guessing that the “stakes” are equal or less than the amount of chunks I would use on larger chunks of meat.  

I think it was @darby_Crenshaw that preached smoke would continue to adhere to the protein until all was done. 

Either way I’ll report back after these butts are done and tasted.  

analyze adapt overcome

• I think the meat takes in the smoke throughout the cook, but most of the smoke ring forms early in the cook. That is what I have often heard anyway.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I think the meat takes in the smoke throughout the cook, but most of the smoke ring forms early in the cook. That is what I have often heard anyway.
    Correct.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have been very pleased with the chunks I get from Frutia. They seem to be the right size, and the burn is excellent, leaving great flavor.
    I do recommend peach for pork. Unreal profile in flavor. For low and slow like ribs, (5 - 6 hours) I use 4-5 chunks. For butts, or longer low and slow cooks, I will use 6-8 chunks. The results have always been phenominal.
    I use pecan for beef, sugar maple for seafood.
    Check them out on line. They seem to have every variety you may want. I buy the 80# boxes. Worth every penny.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

Agree.  Fruitawood is great.

NOLA