Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork loin direct/ indirect?

Options
The Wife got a good deal on pork loins yesterday and in her excitement, had both of them rubbed and injected by the time I got home.( I know there is a dirty joke or limerick in there somewhere.)
Looking up some cook recommendations I see that most are direct 20-25 mins at 400* to an IT of 135-140*.
Have only seen a couple that used indirect 3-4 hours at 200-225* to IT 135-140.
What method brings out the best flavor?

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I usually go indirect at 400. But that’s just me, I will go direct if I stuff and wrap with bacon. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I go indirect at around 250.  If you haven’t tried this APL recipe yet, it’s really worth it:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Glazed-Pork-Loin-with-Cilantro-and-Garlic-352949

Even just the glaze is amazing.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    And to answer your question, the loon will pick up more smoke cooking it indirect at a lower temp.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The quick and hot methods tends to be favored  because there is so little fat and connective tissue in a pork loin. There is usually a small amount of fat on the outside, so that crisps, and the inside stays moist and tender. The consideration is not so much about the flavor, but the texture of the meat.

The injection may help, depends on what it was. If there was salt in it, that will hold water in the flesh.

The down side of direct is that rubs for pork tend to be sugar heavy, and the sugar might blacken/bitter.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    For loin I go indirect at lower temps.  Easier to get uniform doneness.  I save direct hot fires for tenderloins. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    gdenby said:
    The quick and hot methods tends to be favored  because there is so little fat and connective tissue in a pork loin. There is usually a small amount of fat on the outside, so that crisps, and the inside stays moist and tender. The consideration is not so much about the flavor, but the texture of the meat.

The injection may help, depends on what it was. If there was salt in it, that will hold water in the flesh.

The down side of direct is that rubs for pork tend to be sugar heavy, and the sugar might blacken/bitter.

She used Tony’s creole injection on one, a honey mustard marinade on one and injected with the same, and the last was just a rub that she put together.
    Going to go indirect on all 3, if they will all fit on my mbge.
    Will get pictures throughout the process and see how it turns out.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Good luck, and do post the results. I've used some of Chachere's blends, and have been pleased. And better, that yer wife made a rub. Lots of good commercial ones, but learning how to put together something that is special to your own taste and use is a good thing.

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    To each his own. I agree with direct at around 400 turning frequently.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Since you have two (or three?  I'm confused) I'd cook at least one lo-slo-indirect, then at least one hotter and direct, and do a side-by-side.
    Although they have little fat, pork loins always seem to come out okay no matter what, very forgiving, so experiment a bit and have some fun.  You'll have great food this weekend and great sammiches next week, regardless.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Indirect and brined.