Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canning

Options
Found an box of jars in the basement the other day. Perfect side dish for some grilled meat in about 4- 6 weeks. 

Does anyone have any interesting pickling recipes/foods? I am always looking for some unique things to try. This is the first time I have tried doing brussel sprouts. 

Washington, DC  

1- LBGE

Comments

• Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    I use the food in jars books, great recipes! And also the put ‘um up canning books. Also great recipes, and ideas for using the canned goods. 
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Are those pickled brussel sprouts?

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    I’ve never tried canning, but remember my Gram canning just about everything on the little farm they had.
    Pig feet, okra, pickles, peppers, squash, tomatoe sauce, green beans, 7 bean salad, candied jalapeño, and made her own pepper relish. Just to name a few.
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    I did make 11 pints of candied jalapeño yesterday. The website scanning.com is a wealth of recipes.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    rowmsu said:
    Found an box of jars in the basement the other day. Perfect side dish for some grilled meat in about 4- 6 weeks. 

Does anyone have any interesting pickling recipes/foods? I am always looking for some unique things to try. This is the first time I have tried doing brussel sprouts. 

Those all look good...mind sharing the recipes?   Thanks in advance.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I’m pretty basic in mine so nothing to really share. 

The only reason for growing beans in the garden is to put up a lot of pickled beans. It’s asparagus time here so maybe I will do some of those. 

Normal for me is beans, beets, tomatoes, salsa, tomato juice and peppers. And of course a few jars of pickled eggs for deer season. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • rowmsu
    rowmsu Posts: 58
    Options
    Are those pickled brussel sprouts?
    Yes they are. Never tried it before but had some leftover liquid and Brussels. 
    Washington, DC  

1- LBGE
  • rowmsu
    rowmsu Posts: 58
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    rowmsu said:

Those all look good...mind sharing the recipes?   Thanks in advance.
    I modified this recipe. Switched out the different vegetables. added some fresh dill, and more garlic to the jars.
    Washington, DC  

1- LBGE
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Ive been making some basic pickles, beans and asparagus with some help from the sous vide. Results have come out great so far and can be ready in only a couple hours. I still prefer fermented cucumbers though. Waiting is the worst part
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options

A few years ago I pickled some sprouts and entered them in the county fair.  Won a blue ribbon with them.  The biggest winner is having them with a Bloody Mary!  Give that a try when they're ready.

I like pickled cauliflower.  I should make more of that.

The one thing I make by cheating a bit is bread & butter pickles.  Mrs. Wages has a spicy mix that I like.  This year I'm going to make them with Splenda instead of sugar.

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I use mrs wages bread and butter mix to pickle jalapeno’s. They are great. 

Little Rock, AR

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    We make a lot of quick fridge pickles. So easy so good.