Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef rib spag

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
Don’t have much today. Spag sauce with a mongo beef rib from Corkscrew BBQ in Spring, TX.

Beef rib was close to 2 lbs. We ate on it, and the leftovers went in to make spaghetti sauce. Loads of garlic, star anise, cumin, cayenne, cracked pepper, oregano, basil, onion , EVOO, fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, anchovy paste, red wine went into the sauce. I think that's a 4qt DO,  for scale.

Folks make chili out of leftover brisket, but we make make spag sauce out of beef ribs. 

Added bucatini and it turned  out fine for a lazy Sunday dinner. Needed more sauce though. 

caliprince liked it, so I counted it as a win. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That’s a nice twist on a staple dish. I like the additions of star anise and anchovy to the sauce. I’m trying to imagine what the sauce tastes like. The cook is a win for sure. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    Sorry - got sidetracked today and forgot to respond. 

The anchovy paste adds some earthiness, maybe even some umami , to this.

The star anise was a tip from a member here (@paqman?) a few years ago and its a winner. Add 2 stars to the EVOO as it heats up, then add onion, garlic, or whatever you like to put in your sauce. Haven’t made spag sauce without it in the last few years. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

I love this post. Delicious looking meal.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I want that.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    You had a beef rib leftover?  Great cook.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    great looking meal, leftovers are great for spaghetti and how could you go wrong with beef rib. will try the star anise sometime, never seen that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    Options
    You had a beef rib leftover?  Great cook.
    Thanks, Joan.

We were pigs that day - 2 bones of beef ribs, rack of pork ribs, brisket, pulled pork and 1 each of every side they had. For 3.5 people. Felt like crawling under the table and taking a nap before going home. 

• caliking
    Options
    great looking meal, leftovers are great for spaghetti and how could you go wrong with beef rib. will try the star anise sometime, never seen that
    The star anise, cumin, and other stuff make the sauce less tangy, but its good flavor. I use bucatini (thick noodle with a lumen) because I like how it holds the sauce. The pasta was cooked in the sauce itself for maximum flavor :)

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    1) That looks great.
    2) I had never heard of bucatini until last night - at a restaurant in Napa where short rib bucatini was the special.  It was great.  This may be the first thread you have ever started where circumstances set me up to not be jealous.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    Fog, my 4yo actually turned us on to the bucatini a couple of years ago. His tastes are often more refined than ours. 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Dang that looks tasty!  Yes it was me who recommended star anise a few years ago.  I put it in tomato based sauces when doing pizza and arrabiata sauce.  A shot of Sambuca works too :)

Its been forever since I logged in here.  Hope everyone is behaving.

Options
    Good to see ya back , @paqman! You've been missed :)

Thanks again for the star anise tip. It's been a game changer.