Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need chicken and ribs help

Options
This might sound like a dumb question, but I am tasked with cooking 2 spatchcock chickens and a couple of racks of St. Louis style ribs.  I have never done this combo.  My question is timing and temp. I know ribs will take longer but do I put them on first at around 350° then add the chickens a little later?  I await yalls expert opinions.
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    I do "turbo ribs" at 350F for  about 2.5 hrs for St. Louis spares, and 100-120 minutes for baby backs.  Hope this helps.

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Cook your ribs as you normally do and then FTC.   Spatchcock chicken will take 45 minutes or so while ribs are resting
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Another option (if you have the grill real estate) is to cook ribs as you normally do-guessing around 250-275*F (anticipating about 5+ hours for the rib cook), and around 2-3 hours in, load up the chix and then ride it all to the finish-line.  For the crisp skin the trick is to finish the chix shortly after the ribs. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,353
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks guys. I’m thinking of turboing the ribs. FTC then, then doing the chicken. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I agree with cooking ribs first and FTC. Spatch chicken will only take 45-60 minutes raised direct around 350. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Sounds like I'm a little late to help with dinner tonight.  

This is going to sound crazy.  Let your chicken ride out the rib cook.  The first time I did it (per Stike's advice), I was highly skeptical.  Its slammin'.  Low and slow, 5 hour chicken. Crazy and crazy good.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA