Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back To Basics Question

Options
I bought and have used the DigiQ DX2 controller since I got the XL several years ago.
Now I would like to get back to basics. I did a short cook the other day without it but don't know about the confidence I would have for a long, overnight cook.
I believe there are several here who don't use anything but BGE original parts like the daisy wheel and/or the intake vent for solid temp control. No electronics or aftermarket thingamajigs.
I would sure like to hear from those basic egg kind of folks about their techniques and experience during long cooks like brisket or butts.
Looking forward to any and all info.

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Let it get to the temp you want and stay there for about an hour before you put the meat on. Trust your settings and don’t chase temps after you put the meat on. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    If I am doing a long low-n-slow, I just make sure to let the egg sit at temperature for about 45 min to an hour before I add any meat. It seems to help stabilize it. And unless you see a drastic change in temperature, don't change anything. Seems like every time you try and correct it, it goes in the other way too much.
    LBGE
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    I've done 3 overnight cooks and many more long low and slow cooks. My large is 100% stock. I do use a grate probe to monitor the temp. Just learn the settings you need and trust them. I've been busy during some long low and slow cooks and didn't check for hours. The egg was plugging right along holding temp like a champ. For butts, do them at 300-325. No long waits or stalls and just as good. This forum really turned me on to "turbo" cooks for pork. I will never do a long low and slow butt again. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Another endorsement for firing it up a few hours in advance of the cook start time and make sure it is stable ( a good hour or more) with no vent movement.  Then add the protein and away you go.  After several hours the dome temperature will slowly climb as the protein itself comes up to temperature but the rate is quite slow.  FWIW-
    BTW- make sure your dome thermo is calibrated.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I never use my DigiQ for anything except lo n slo overnight butt cooks. Recently, I discovered the joys of turbo cooking pork butt so it's been a while since I used the DigiQ. Stabilize temp at about 320° (some prefer 350), put the meat on at 9-10 AM and it's ready by dinner time. No all night cooking, easy to check on without losing any sleep and no difference in the finished product. Also, I find it easier for the egg to hold temp in the 300s than at 250 or less. Not to say you can't get it stable at 250 though. Plenty of folks do. I just think it's easier in the 300s.

I don't know anything about cooking brisket.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think it’s really just a matter of getting comfortable with the vent settings and what temperature they end up stabilizing the Egg to.  I’d suggest just playing with this during the day on day a rib cook that takes six hours.  Get the fire going pretty well, then set the bottom vent to just be open a slit and see where the temp is after two hours.  That will give you a very good handle on what a comfortable low setting for your Egg looks like.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I put more lump in. After the temp stabilizes, and I put the big mass of cold meat in, I wait another 45 - 60 to see if the temp has returned to near what I want. For overnighters, seems like 250F is a safe temp to avoid loss of burn. I aim at 275. Typically, it has dropped some both because the large mass of meat has changed the airflow a little, and its cool water vapor has dropped the temp some. I go to bed. I'm an early riser, so I go out early and do a check. I've only had the fire go out 2 times. Once was just not enough lump. The other was a burn that went straight down the center, leaving most of the lump unkindled. More often, the temp has crept up, but never beyond 315, which just meant the meat got FTC for a few hours before service.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Any opinions on which is best for temp control.... Daisy wheel or lower vent?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    For cooks above 300F, I take the Daisy wheel off, and just use the lower vent to restrict air flow.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    JohnH12 said:
    For cooks above 300F, I take the Daisy wheel off, and just use the lower vent to restrict air flow.
    That's what I do as well. And I almost never cook below 300°.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut