Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

A little advice on Duck...

Looking for a little advice on cooking duck. I’ve cooked a bunch of wild ducks, but I’ve never cooked domestic duck of any kind. I’ve got 20 lbs of duck drummettes and I can’t wait to get into them. I’m starting with 6 drums as sort of a test run. I was thinking I’d hit them with a spicy rub of some sort, maybe DP swamp venom?? Then smoke them around 250-275 on the XL with cherry or maple until just about done. Pull them, then fry in duck fat or crank the egg to high heat to really crisp them up. Maybe finish them off by tossing them in a sweet/spicy homemade sauce- cranberry sriracha??

Am am I barking up the right tree here? I want really crispy skin and I’m thinking it’ll be hard to get without frying them at the end, especially considering the amount of fat in domestic ducks. Any advice? Hard lessons learned? Let me have it. I’m a sponge. 

Comments

• Not an answer to your question but would like to hear your method for wild duck on BGE. I’ve been cooking wild ducks for as long as can remember but haven’t done them on my Egg yet. I have some ideas but want to hear a tried and true method.
    Thanks!
    Truckee, CA 
  • SPRIGSSPRIGS Posts: 438
    edited January 6
    Not an answer to your question but would like to hear your method for wild duck on BGE. I’ve been cooking wild ducks for as long as can remember but haven’t done them on my Egg yet. I have some ideas but want to hear a tried and true method.
    Thanks!
    What I have been doing lately with mallard breasts is to soak them good for a few days in cold water.  Working the breasts a bit with your hands twice a day when changing out the water.  

Marinate in Allegro for 2-3 hours with a bunch of garlic.  Take out of marinade, and season them up with your rub of choice and then put a piece of bacon around the breasts.  Grill, direct at 350 or so with some hickory for a little touch of smoke.  Pull them off at internal of 150.  

Kids and wife all really liked them.  
    XL BGE
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,653
    @SPRIGS I do much the same. I bring the breasts for 12 - 24 hours. Some I wrap in bacon and grill as you do. I’ve also decided I really like duck meatballs. You can pan sear them or cook on the egg. I like egging them with a bit if smoke. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon