Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear

Options
A reverse sear, from my understanding is to allow the meat to have as much smoke as possible at its desired temperature and then to add the sear.  So..... if one would sear first the smoke flavor will be reduced?  --- which would be my aim.  I guess I do not dig the smoke thing as much as everyone else on this board forum seems to do.

Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Essentially, you are not smoking if you don't add wood. Just cooking over charcoal. The low cook finished with a sear is a method that maintains a consistent colour through the meat when compared to a sear first low temp finish. Both are good. For me it comes down to the cut of meat. More muscular cuts...sear first, more tender.... reverse sear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Driller said:
    A reverse sear, from my understanding is to allow the meat to have as much smoke as possible at its desired temperature and then to add the sear.  So..... if one would sear first the smoke flavor will be reduced?  --- which would be my aim.  I guess I do not dig the smoke thing as much as everyone else on this board forum seems to do.

What meat are you doing and what charcoal are you using?  Without wood added, some coal barley adds any smoke flavor.  Reverse sear or regular sear sans wood would be the same. If it’s still too Smokey for you, try another charcoal brand. 

the point of the reverse sear is to cook like soup vide where the entire meat comes to a consistent temperature throughout. So if you are going for a medium rare steak you get crust to crust consistent color with a nice bark to lock in the flavor.