Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: PVW 12 Year

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
Received this text today from my local liquor store:

"Hi Mike this is John at Alumni Wine & Spirits. We wanted to give you the first opportunity on a bottle of 12 year PVW since you showed interest in it. We ended up getting 1 bottle. We don’t see another in our near future. The price is $799.99. If you would like us to save it for you for a few days we will. If you aren’t interested we understand and we will put it out on the shelf. Thanks."

$800 for a $60 MSRP - uhhhh, let me think - pass. Now if any of you high rollers want it let me know and I'll be happy to spend your money. 
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    That’s vanity chit right there. Criminal. No thanks
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    No way.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Having a Tito’s and fresh squeezed Red Grapefruit. Would not drink it if you put a bottle in front of me and said enjoy. Go for it though. It’s just money! A special pour for the holidays! 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    So that's what you meant when you said it was the Holy Grail of Bourbon!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    That's insane.  I'd be pissed as well that they tried ripping you off. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Begs the question...Why does the liquor store have your number and do you regularly get texts from them?   B)
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    My state run liquor stores have a lottery for the chance to buy some of the PVW stuff at the normal price. If I was positive I could sell a bottle for multiples of what I paid I might actually buy a bottle if my name came up. Otherwise, not interested.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CTMike
    Options
    stv8r said:
    That's insane.  I'd be pissed as well that they tried ripping you off. 
    Well, if you look at PVW prices on the secondary this price isn't that crazy, just too crazy for me. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited December 2017
    Options

TN_Egger said:
    Begs the question...Why does the liquor store have your number and do you regularly get texts from them?   B)
    What is it that Congressional witnesses say when subpoenaed? "I can not recall at this time," or something like that. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I got a bottle a couple years ago. Wish I would have sold it. It’s good stuff but I could have bought 15 handles of larceny which is good enough for me. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Last year I saw a 20yr at a local store. Inquired 5k, no thanks.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @HeavyG - those prices are in line with what the stores (non-state run here) charge.
    @CTMike - You've gotta be $hittin me.  Here's where I am in the PVW arena.  Local adult beverage store used (key word) to dutifully keep track of your purchases thru the year and then, depending on your spend would allow you the option to purchase one of the PVW bottles when they got their release at normal retail prices. (sounds like your deal except the price point.)  Bought a lot, drank a lot so all was good.  This gig ended around 4 years ago.  
    Reasonable approach-then they realized that the wide open lottery would definitely enhance sales and away it went.  Don't shop there any more.  And I remember when PVW 12 year old was always available.  

Dang- but as you note-they will get their asking price.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CTMike
    Options
    When I was able to score the 23 y/o a couple years  ago I happily paid $300 vs $249 MSRP. I didn't begrudge the store a 20% markup on a hard to get bottle, but a 1300% markup is ridiculous. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • BleedinGreen
    Options
    Picked up a bottle of 12 yo in the PA lottery this year... $99.  That price is crazy but they will get it or something close.
  • etherdome
    Options
    I happily bought a 12 year this year for $115. Anyone who tried to sell me one for $700 would never see me in the store again. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    CTMike said:

"Hi Mike  sucka, this is John at Alumni Wine & Spirits. We wanted to give you the first opportunity on a bottle of 12 year PVW since you showed interest in it. We ended up getting 1 bottle. We don’t see another in our near future. The price is $799.99. If you would like us to save it for you for a few days we will. If you aren’t interested we understand and we will put it out on the shelf. Thanks."

$800 for a $60 MSRP - uhhhh, let me think - pass. Now if any of you high rollers want it let me know and I'll be happy to spend your money. 
    FTFT(hem).

Jeezus. That takes some ballz.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    My state run liquor stores have a lottery for the chance to buy some of the PVW stuff at the normal price. If I was positive I could sell a bottle for multiples of what I paid I might actually buy a bottle if my name came up. Otherwise, not interested.

FYI The old Rip Van Winkle 10 year is my favorite. If you win I'll happily buy it from you. 
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    @CTMike-It’s a little weird that they would try and sell the bottle for near grey market prices. Old Rip(10 and 12 year) used to hang out on the shelves when I worked at a liquor store in college. The bourbon craze has made some stuff outrageous. Buying at cost is well worth it and if your wallet can handle to buying on the grey market it is also worth it!  The 12-b is not considered pvw.  It’s only the 15/20/23. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I got no dog in this fight.
    Evan Williams has won bourbon of the year, on multiple occasions, by several different evaluation contests and media sources.
    I get the PVW craze, but, there are too many high quality, very fine bourbon labels out there, which are not stupid expensive to buy and enjoy.
    This, of course, is coming from a guy  that has decided to lower his wine inventory, to 60 labels, a year ago, which has not exactly worked out as planned. (Somewhere north of 130 currently, and growing).
    I know, I know......shut the eff up YukonRon......
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Has anyone made bourbon slushies w PVW?   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Has anyone made bourbon slushies w PVW?   
    Bring some to BB18 and we will start a new tradition. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options

CoMoBGE said:

The 12-b is not considered pvw.  It’s only the 15/20/23. 
    I know, but I figured most people don't know the difference so I just lumped it all together. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:

"Hi Mike  sucka, this is John at Alumni Wine & Spirits. We wanted to give you the first opportunity on a bottle of 12 year PVW since you showed interest in it. We ended up getting 1 bottle. We don’t see another in our near future. The price is $799.99. If you would like us to save it for you for a few days we will. If you aren’t interested we understand and we will put it out on the shelf. Thanks."

FTFT(hem).

Jeezus. That takes some ballz.
    Agree! It’s one thing for them to shamelessly display the bottle in the store with an outrageous price, but a whole other level of shameful for them to actively solicit sales at near criminal prices. Really insulting. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Saw this at the liquor store on base, anyone tried it?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @bgebrent maybe?

I have not but certainly would like too!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @bgebrent maybe?

I know you enjoy KC regularly so I was just hoping.   Cheers anyway!
  • CTMike
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @bgebrent maybe?

Evidently this batch was to commemorate the son taking over the Master Distiller spot from his father. 15 years old, $140. Might have to jump on this.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    CTMike said:
    bgebrent said:
    @bgebrent maybe?

Evidently this batch was to commemorate the son taking over the Master Distiller spot from his father. 15 years old, $140. Might have to jump on this.
    I'd consider it.