Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too old?

Options
Diggin out freezer, too old to thaw out and smoke?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No. I dug out a pack of boneless short ribs yesterday and cooked today that had a sell by date of Nov 2015. They've been in a deep freezer, they're fine.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Hell no. Smoke that bad boy!
    Stillwater, MN
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Thanks @DMW. It’s been at -10 degrees the whole time. It’s now in the garage fridge thawing. 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Should be good - may not be first place Memphis in May caliber...but fine for sure.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Knock the ice maggots off it and cook.
    Options
    As above-No way.  He!! last year I cooked up a 3.5 year frozen turkey (chest freezer very deep dive) and it was great.   I don't know where the upper freezer aged limit is for things-and have never worried about it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sounds good, glad you aren't going to toss, that would be a shame.

Here's what I did with the short ribs.

Caramelized thin sliced onions with bacon grease:

Seasoned the short ribs with Kosher salt and then seared on all sides:

Tossed in a dutch oven with beef broth, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, the onions, fresh grated garlic, and fresh ground pepper. 

Stuck it in the oven at 250* covered and went to work. Checked on it around when I remembered early afternoon and they were basically done, dropped the oven temp to 200* and removed the lid to let it cook down. A couple hours later, put the lid back on as it had reduced a good bit.

No other pics until the finish as my wife finished it up while I was working. She removed the short ribs, strained the jus, added more beef broth, and then used it to make a gravy. Then put the ribs back in and just broke it up with a spoon:

Served over noodles:

No egg involved, but it was some pretty good comfort food on a cold day. Adding some smoke to this in the egg would be pretty good.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    That looks delicious!