Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You know that you've done too good a job when...

Options
Your mother asks you to grill another turkey for Christmas like you did for Thanksgiving. Oh well, at least I know that it will be edible.

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that. A good turkey is hard to come by in some situations.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I suppose, based on innuendo, you should do a worse job next time.  But also, based on the edible comment, the bar is set low (someone is probably overcooking their birds).  Alternatively, you can teach them how to cook a turkey and have edible plus less responsibility.  Anyway, that's my take.

Like my nanna used to say: give a man a well cooked turkey and feed him for a week.  Teach a man to cook a turkey well and you ain't gonna be on turkey duty no more.

Or something like that.  Anyway, congrats on pleasing the mom with a delicious grilled turkey.
    Actually she really is too old and her arthritis too bad to do much cooking anymore. And I don’t mind. But yes I can cook better for the most part.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I"m in the same boat... Only it's for a friends family! They were just moving into their new house so I offered to cook Turkey and Beef ribs for them at Thanksgiving. Now, his Mom and Dad said it was the best turkey they have eaten in their 70 odd some years so... I'm on the hook for both again for Christmas!! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Mom got a 14# bird for Thanksgiving. I was a bit surprised as the grocery store gives away the turkeys if you spend the threshold for the month. Birds up to 25#s I believe. Well, the 14# turkey was enough for dinner but definitely lacking for leftovers. Mom explained that it is as big as she can now handle. So going forward it will be my responsibility to acquire and put turkey in and out of the oven. I will gladly take on this task so I can partake in the leftover consumption. Luck for me Mom lives in the same town I do.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SmartyPantz
    Options
    HAHA!  Yup, I got a new job this year, too!  MadMax Method ROCKED!!  
    When do y'all teach me the secret handshake?
    XL BGE, 36" Blackstone, and a Wah Wah pedal
    Williamsburg, VA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Way to rock it!

It took my Mom a couple years to convince her that I had the bird covered. It took that one time and I've been in charge ever since. She insists that she buys the turkey and gets the gizzards and neck for stuffing. I live 20 seconds from the grocery store and just went and bought them this year. That was wrong I guess. I ended up with a grocery store giftcard in the mail from my Mom. I should just learn Mom wins everytime!

Last year my cousin who is a junior in high school had Thanksgiving with my other Aunt and Uncles house. The two previous Thanksgivings before that one I had made the turkey. My Aunt (my cousins mom) said that he would only go to Thanksgiving this year if I was in charge of the turkey! (Joking of course) I had a good laugh about that. The magic of the egg!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    We have 1 regular turkey for making gravy and stuffing, and one turkey smoked with cherry on the egg.  I do them both so I'm keeping an eye on the oven bird so it doesn't get overcooked.  I carve and serve them.  14 guests went for the smoked bird.  2 for the oven bird.  It's hard to beat a good BBQ turkey.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I just do turkey breasts but the egg with Dizzy Pig "Ragin River and Shaking the Tree" rubs make it great
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Good job Ole Sport! 

leonardo dicaprio GIF
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    When the wife says what are you cooking on the egg today, when she is the main cook.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Actually she really is too old and her arthritis too bad to do much cooking anymore. And I don’t mind. But yes I can cook better for the most part.
    I'm still waiting on the day someone makes a comment like this only to discover that their mother, who ends up being a member on this forum, has bore  witness to such a comment and proceeds to give them a hearty lashin' in front of their friends. 

:) 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Every family needs a pitmaster :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I'm still waiting on the day someone makes a comment like this only to discover that their mother, who ends up being a member on this forum, has bore  witness to such a comment and proceeds to give them a hearty lashin' in front of their friends. 

:) 
    The only places that she goes on the computer are:Facebook, her email, the church website, Dickies clothing site , and her favorite shoe site.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    I made the mistake of offering a couple Snake River hams for Christmas for a family member. Now I'm on the hook every year for the same. 
  • coomdaddy
    Options
    Mad Max pros - How did you prepare your butter/seasoning paste?  Whatever I did was not correct as I couldn't spread the mix onto the bird.  Large clumps was more like it.  

Did i I need to let butter sit out longer or what?