Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flameboss temp probs problems

Options
Was looking to buy a flameboss 300 and talked to flameboss customer service to see about temp probs for higher than 400F    They said they had been having probs with their probes at a higher temps and were limiting their usage to a bout 440F.     Does anyone know anything about this.  
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I was using mine to monitor some steaks (indirect), and then move them over to the direct side to sear.  That made a probe fail.  They replaced it and told me not to use on cooks over 400, so I don't.  I use it for 350 turbo butts for many hours, and have had no problems since.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Why would you be smoking above 400F??

It's designed for low and slow, not hot and fast
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I only use my FB300 for low and slow cooks or maybe up to 350*. But I upgraded to the high temp probes, rated for 475*, just because they might be exposed to direct heat on the edges of the Egg where the plate setter doesn't protect them. Besides, they look cool...
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Consider getting a SMOBOT. They use a Type K probe for monitoring the grill temperature. You can buy Type K probes in a wide variety of types and temp ranges, some are good up to a couple thousand degrees.

The stock SMOBOT grill probe is good  up to 750°F.

People do use their grills for more than low n slow and I've found it useful to be able to set a higher temp for use like an oven or to get a griddle to a pretty high temp and hold it in a specific range and to be able to log/monitor what's happening.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No problem here with the stock FB probes - I just don't roast them over high temp / open coals.

I use my FB strictly for low and slows, and I believe that was the intent of the unit. Anything hot and fast doesn't need a controller or temp probes. 

That's what good cook sense and Thermapens are made for.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    I agree with SmokingPiney and the others who say the same thing.  And Stlcharcoal is one of the best to ask as well
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs