Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bride's Birthday Dinner

Options
I took my wife out to J. Gilberts this past Saturday for her birthday as I was supposed to be working tonight. If you are in the Hartford area (or one of their other locations) give them a shot, you will not be disappointed. Turns out she decided to ensure I couldnt go to work tonight. 

Tuesday I accompianed her to her pulmonologist at Yale for a follow up due to her asthma. Turns out the short walk from the parking garage to the clinic was too much that day. Two albuterol treatments in the clinic and we were off to the ER in a wheel chair. By the time we got there the resident listened to her lungs and said "no breath sounds bilaterally." Amazing how fast a crash team can get organized and go to work. Some epi, some magnesium, some Solumedrol, bipap, and continuous nebs for four hours and she was doing ok. 

Two days in the hospital and she was sprung today. Needless to say I couldn't go to work tonight so we decided to have a second birthday dinner. 

Picked up a couple 1.5" thick choice Ribeyes and the ingredients for mushroom risotto. Put a steak rub on the steaks, a spring of rosemary, and into the hot tub at 135 F for 2.5 hours. Substituted pecorino romano for the Parmesan in the risotto. 

I had a bottle of Duckhorn Merlot set aside for a special occasion, only to find that my kid uncorked it a few weeks back and didn't use the vacuum pump to recork it. Needless to say I was pretty chapped. Oh well, had a Red Blend on standby. 

I am thankful that the crash team at Yale is so good at what they do so that we could celebrate another birthday together. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Great looking meal Mike. I hope your wife is feeling better. Sounds like a scary couple of days. 
    Snellville, GA

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Great looking meal Mike. I hope your wife is feeling better. Sounds like a scary couple of days. 
    Thanks, but unfortunately this isn't the first time we've done this particular dance. Asthma sucks a$$. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Scary, scary story!  But I'm glad it had a happy ending!  And that is one SERIOUSLY gorgeous piece of steak on that fork!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm glad she's ok and y'all were able to enjoy that superfantastic looking meal!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Beautiful! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    Dang- way to drive home the successful outcome.  I can't imagine the emotions and feelings dealing with the "here and now" and in quick-time.  
    On a lesser note-a great outcome right there.  Way to nail it in the face of all the challenges. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    A belated Happy Birthday wish to your wife! 

My beloved of 51 years of marriage passes the 73rd mile marker on Saturday. 

By her choice I am fixing her meal here at home of filets, my potato balls and Bernadine sauce. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    edited December 2017
    Options
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    thetrim said:
    RRP said:
    A belated Happy Birthday wish to your wife! 

My beloved of 51 years of marriage passes the 73rd mile marker on Saturday. 

By her choice I am fixing her meal here at home of filets, my potato balls and Bernadine sauce. 

They're made of potatoes?  I'm sorry.  I couldn't resist.  Sorry, @CTMike for taking it sideways.
    It's all good. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    thetrim said:
    though you removed your post - yes, my balls...potato - that is - take a while to make using a melon baller and 4 to 7 peeled potatoes. I have been making these for years for a special meal as they really do take some time to cut and cook, but the oohs and ahhhs are worth it! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    Options
    RRP said:
    thetrim said:
    though you removed your post - yes, my balls...potato - that is - take a while to make using a melon baller and 4 to 7 peeled potatoes. I have been making these for years for a special meal as they really do take some time to cut and cook, but the oohs and ahhhs are worth it! 

Thanks for sharing Ron.  Yeah, I deleted it as to not detract from the message about Mike, his wife, and their great meal.  Enjoy your in a couple days!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Belated happy birthday to her brother.  Nice night.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Splendid meal. And a belated happy birthday to her. I’m sure she enjoyed both very much after being in the hospital. 

The great thing about codes is that they are practiced many many times , so folks get them right when needed. For the most part. So glad that she was in the ER at the time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Happy Birthday for your beautiful bride and our best wishes for her having to deal and live with asthma. Scary stuff. Sucks having to spend any time in the hospital, but very glad the team brought her through the event. 
    We travel with epi, for My Beautiful Wife. I totally get it.
    The birthday dinner looked wonderful. Glad you could not make it to work, for her birthday. You are fortunate man, and a great husband to your wife.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I also have asthma, it sucks big time!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Glad to hear your wife is better. Thats a great looking meal!!

I also have respiratory problems. It really sucks not being able to catch your breath.