Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Turkey Cook and Configuration

Options
Looking for advice on cooking two 20lb turkeys side by side or four 10lb turkeys beer can style in an XL?  If you have, what configuration did you use and are there any gotchas?

I have been asked to cook for a large holiday gathering next week.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I posted this to another thread I’d do 2 twenties if I were you

Breast to the front legs to the back. I cook 325-350. If you like crispy skin shoot for 350ish or smoke low first hour than raise temp up. Time depends on size of bird, and if you cook stuffing in the bird. just start checking after 1.5hrs or use a leave in thermometer. I don’t spatchcock my turkeys because I prefer the look and presentation of keeping it together. I will spread in some chips into the lump and then usually place one good size chunk just off the fire, I agree you don’t want too much smoke. I’d say use a little less then you would  use for ribs and that should be about right. I buy butterball. Don’t wet brine a preinjected turkey. Seasoning I just do salt and pepper. Use a drip pan to catch the drippings to make gravey. The smoke flavor comes through it’s delicious!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • StratoEgg
    Options