Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the Difference

Again, I am a Newbie.
I do not understand what the difference is between an Egg and a conventional oven when it comes to some of the slow pot cooks.  Is there a flavor imparted to a casserole that is different? 
Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Yes, smoke
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Driller
    Driller Posts: 56
    OK, thanks.  I kind of figured that.  I'm just unsure if I would wish to taste smoke in a lot of those dishes.  

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Rockwood is about the most neutral lump as far as smoke goes.  Also,  if you just did a low and slow cook, you may not want to follow with an apple pie for example. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    In my experience the addition of different wood will give you different (and more/less) of the smokey flavor. I did a hashbrown casserole on the egg Sunday morning with no wood added and most did not know I used the egg. I make a mac-and-cheese on the grill and add some wood chunks and you get a nice smokey flavor to it. I have baked pies with no wood chunks added and it tastes like it is out of the oven. 

Bottom line (for me) is I can/will cook almost everything on the egg with as much or as little smoke as I desire.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • lousubcap said:
    You don't get to mess with fire or get the valued SWMBO escape time (complete with supervisory adult beverages) with the clock-box.  ;)  FWIW-
    TRUTH!!
    When do y'all teach me the secret handshake?
    XL BGE, 36" Blackstone, and a Wah Wah pedal
    Williamsburg, VA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I'm sure this is obvious, but if you are cooking something with the lid on, then I don't really think it's any different at all than an oven, except for the advantages mentioned by @lousubcap, of course.  But yeah, if the lid's off, then yes, you can get a mild smokiness.

Most of the time, if I'm cooking something in a pot, like braising some meat, I've got the lid on, so most of the time I do braising indoors.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I figure the egg works more like a convection oven than a regular conventional oven.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Smoked water is the best.  Especially with ice.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I haven't used my oven in the last 7 years. Good lump paired with a weed torch is where it's at. I can get the egg up to temp as fast if not faster than my oven. So it goes into the egg. 95% of my cooks are based around the egg or offset. So that always helps
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Smoked water is the best.  Especially with ice.  
    @tarheelmatt. I chuckled. Then I thought, "Hmm, let's see what Google has to say about this."

F'n white people. It's a real thing. You missed your million dollar industry. 

https://www.google.com/amp/grubstreet.relaymedia.com/amp/2017/10/oaked-smoked-water-will-cost-you-more-than-scotch.html

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Before I hit pizza burnout, I loved getting my Large up to 900 to do thin, margherita-style pizzas, 90 seconds cooking time; can't do that in my Magic Chef!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    I have trouble keeping mine from boiling. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    jeffwit said:
    I have trouble keeping mine from boiling. 

Use a water pan to absorb some heat.
    NOLA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    A few things I really enjoy on the egg with a little smoke are, peach cobbler (peach chunks), pecan pie with pecan chips in moderation, and beef stew. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    You are right; In some cases there is no difference. I agree with others who have said that sometimes it's about the experience as much as the result. I laugh and tell people I have spent thousands of $$$ so that I can cook like people did hundreds of years ago. I just enjoy my outdoor kitchen. I enjoy the work that goes into food cooked outside. When I'm pushed for time, lazy, or when the weather is miserable I bake indoors. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I like using the Eggs in the summer as my oven because then it doesn't heat my kitchen up.......also can be used as second/third ovens during the winter.

The biggest difference is more of moisture retention.  If you ever see the steam pouring out of your oven when making frozen French fries, that's a lot of air that can be vented.  The Egg doesn't do that.  So little air passes through it, most of that moisture stays inside.  That's why pork butts are so damn good on the egg vs. other smokers, because the pork butts are sweating like crazy, but you're losing very little of that going out the chimney.  That probably doesn't make a difference on "slow pots", but you can cook lid off and it will still act like a slow cooker with all the steam.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    @tarheelmatt @Killit_and_Grillit

I know you guys are joking, but I smoke water regularly.  Then make ice for whiskey or bloody marys.  It's pretty tasty.  I usually do it when cold smoking.
    Phoenix 
  • I like using the Eggs in the summer as my oven because then it doesn't heat my kitchen up.......also can be used as second/third ovens during the winter.

The biggest difference is more of moisture retention.  If you ever see the steam pouring out of your oven when making frozen French fries, that's a lot of air that can be vented.  The Egg doesn't do that.  So little air passes through it, most of that moisture stays inside.  That's why pork butts are so damn good on the egg vs. other smokers, because the pork butts are sweating like crazy, but you're losing very little of that going out the chimney.  That probably doesn't make a difference on "slow pots", but you can cook lid off and it will still act like a slow cooker with all the steam.

The moisture retention is quite remarkable but; I am not sure my taste/texture buds are ready for some of the results.  Fish is a good example.  I tried catfish filets the other night and had the internal temperature 15 degrees higher than recommended, because it just did not look right. 

Well, it was done but I had never had a "juicy" fish and did not particularly care for it.  Threw the filets into the microwave to dry them out a bit.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Driller said:
    I like using the Eggs in the summer as my oven because then it doesn't heat my kitchen up.......also can be used as second/third ovens during the winter.

The moisture retention is quite remarkable but; I am not sure my taste/texture buds are ready for some of the results.  Fish is a good example.  I tried catfish filets the other night and had the internal temperature 15 degrees higher than recommended, because it just did not look right. 

Well, it was done but I had never had a "juicy" fish and did not particularly care for it.  Threw the filets into the microwave to dry them out a bit.
    Lol.  Who is this? Jig is up.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Driller said:
    Again, I am a Newbie.
    I do not understand what the difference is between an Egg and a conventional oven when it comes to some of the slow pot cooks.  Is there a flavor imparted to a casserole that is different? 
    with outdoor cooking there are two common flavor enhancements.......first on what you're cooking and second on who's cooking..........first dry, second wet........lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.