Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can BGE ceramic be cut without cracking?

Options
MattBTI
MattBTI Posts: 417
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
wild though popped into my head just now. BGE needs to make a pizza oven, odds are they aren't, so could a guy get a XXL dome and cut an opening in the front to allow access? Then set the dome onto a cooking surface?

This would be awesome! Maybe some kind of handheld wet saw could do this?
Pratt, KS

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Go for it.  I'd read that thread.

That's an experiment beyond my means.  I have apart more than a few Weber kettles doing experiments.  Before hacking up an egg though, you could probably just buy a pizza oven.  Or you could just buy a BS PO - they get great reviews and several here on the forum utilize them.
    Phoenix 
  • MattBTI
    Options
    Yup I've seen the blackstones. I think it's the "one off" factor that's appealing. I don't have the masonry experience or know how to even begin something like this, but I thought is would be a fun idea. Maybe one of you construction guys on here can weigh-in. 
    Pratt, KS
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't ever hack away at the egg. If you're so inclined, buy a Pizza Porta. The egg is not a WFO. Can you cook pizza and get good results on the egg? Yes. But it is no WFO. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    Yup I've seen the blackstones. I think it's the "one off" factor that's appealing. I don't have the masonry experience or know how to even begin something like this, but I thought is would be a fun idea. Maybe one of you construction guys on here can weigh-in. 

My mason skills are limited as well Matt.  I had designed a few versions of domed metal ovens that I was considering bringing to market.  The killer was, the way I wanted to make them, they would have had to sell for a couple grand.  That's tough sledding when you've got a $300 Blackstone oven that people are very pleased with.  I decided there are more fertile grounds.
    Phoenix 
  • MattBTI
    Options
    I'd like to venture into the blackstones. I've also thought about finding some help and building a brick oven. This will have to wait for a more permanent residence though. My wife and I (3.5 weeks into married life) are in our first home I bought a year ago. I'll wait for the big house to put in my dream outdoor kitchen. 
    Pratt, KS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    I'd like to venture into the blackstones. I've also thought about finding some help and building a brick oven. This will have to wait for a more permanent residence though. My wife and I (3.5 weeks into married life) are in our first home I bought a year ago. I'll wait for the big house to put in my dream outdoor kitchen. 
    Congrats!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I don't think it's an issue of "will it crack" when I cut it.......get the right blade and have a steady hand, you'll be fine.

The question is, "how long until it cracks AFTER you cut it?"  I think there's a lot of other ways to go about this, before hacking on a BGE.

• MattBTI
    Options
    Weber: thanks!
    Pratt, KS
  • MattBTI
    Options
    Stl: it's not anything I'm planning on. I just had an idea pop up. I do think it would be pretty neat if BGE ran 500 pizza ovens though some day. Some sort of dealer exclusive thing would be pretty damn neat. 
    Pratt, KS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Auplex is a company in China that makes lots of ceramic kamados.

They make one model that has a steel door in the dome so that you can slide a pizza in/out without having to raise the dome.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk