Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, wood and beer

Options
Throwing a brisket on the egg this weekend and wanted to turn to the wise ones out there. 

I am looking at a oak and pecan wood blend. Any recommendations on how many chunks?

Also looking for any beer pairings you've had success with.

Thanks as always!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    No wise one or expert here-but brisket can take the smoke.  Post oak for a stick burner is the wood of choice in Central Texas.  I doubt you have that variety.  I have to rely on bourbon soaked oak barrel chunks for my source of oak on brisket cooks in the BGE.  Depending on cut (flat, point or packer) and size of brisket (?) I would go with 4-5 (tops) oak chunks.  See how you like the outcome.  Next one run with all pecan and compare the smoke flavor.  (Recognizing the friggin cow drives the cook and will be different for each cook).  Then adjust between the two. The oak will give a heavier smoke flavor but not over-powering.  If that is a concern, reverse the order of wood.  
    Regarding beer pairings, cold and non-light/lite fill the bill nicely.  
    Above all have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Two or three fist size chunks will work. Four or five will work better if you like the flavor on the robust side. I prefer Pecan but that's just me.

As far as beer goes, I prefer the cold variety. A good ale always pairs well with Brisket.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Barrel-aged Belgian beer is my go-to for anything smoked.  And for life in general.  If you can get Allagash Curieux or the Oak Aged variety (can be hard to find) of the St. Bernardus ABT 12 you can thank me later.

Allagash has a beer locator on their website that can help.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I use oak and consume whiskey here. Enjoy!
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Barrel-aged Belgian beer is my go-to for anything smoked.  And for life in general.  If you can get Allagash Curieux or the Oak Aged variety (can be hard to find) of the St. Bernardus ABT 12 you can thank me later.

Allagash has a beer locator on their website that can help.
    Definitely agree with the Allagash - superb brews. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    I used 4 good chunks of oak in the fire today. 4 beers and 2, 3 three fingers of bourbon in me.  Go for it!
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1208038/family-reunion-brisket#latest

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    nuffin' better than waking up to morning brisket, morning beer, and morning wood. 
    Thanks for all comments. Brisket just went on grid is a steady 250 and I've got a snifter of whistle pig in hand. Life is good!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Oak and beer is good. Only advice is pull the brisket when it probes and let it rest uncovered for atleast 30 minutes. I got a prime packer going on 8am Sunday morning for Sunday dinner party.