Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with this Friday's cook

Options
Gym
Gym Posts: 366
Hey all
My wife has invited a few friends for dinner on Friday and asked me to prepare some sort of meat. Problem is, I'm getting a little bored of my usual "go to's". All the guests are new to BGE. I know it's risky to try something new when having guests, but I was thinking of beef tenderloin (roast, not steaks). Am I crazy? Should I stick to one of the old faithfuls? 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    The APL beef tenderloin recipe is a sure fire hit if you haven't tried it yet.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Just make a decision and go with it. Truly depends on the perceived tastes of the audience but beef tenderloin off the BGE is less of a wow in my opinion (that's different and better) factor (minimal fat in the cut) than other things you can crank out.
    Toss it back to SWMBO and ask her what she thinks-skin in the game is all important when entertaining.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Just make a decision and go with it. Truly depends on the perceived tastes of the audience but beef tenderloin off the BGE is less of a wow in my opinion (that's different and better) factor (minimal fat in the cut) than other things you can crank out.
    Toss it back to SWMBO and ask her what she thinks-skin in the game is all important when entertaining.  FWIW-
    I agree here. I would do prime rib before I did tenderloin. 

Little Rock, AR

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    Like a bone-in roast?
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @gym I'm in the same boat. I cook for my mother n law and father n law every weekend on the egg. It's a routine. I'm running out of options. I need to switch it up some myself. 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    You want something that can't miss? You want something that will have them bragging about you? I can barely cook a chicken breast, but every single time I follow this recipe/instructions I get told about how I should open my own restaurant.

https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/raging-river-maplebutter-crusted-salmon/

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Get a nice big tomahawk for the wow factor, grill that bastard up, carry it in by the bone for awesomeness, slice it up in front of em, then go get drunk while they talk about how badass you are compared to their husbands. Get laid later.  B)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Thick pork chops.  Brine them, roast them, sear them.  Everyone's had porkchops, but most people have only had pan fried or thin, cooked until leather chops.

Try this:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155810/best-pork-chop-ive-ever-had
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beef tenderloin is a chip shot winner.  As John suggested the APL route is great but it is a simple showstopper.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Thick pork chops.  Brine them, roast them, sear them.  Everyone's had porkchops, but most people have only had pan fried or thin, cooked until leather chops.

Try this:

This is a great idea.  Cazzy has a monster chops thread on here somewhere where he sears in bacon grease to finish them.  I've done a variation on this several times, and it's pretty easy and unique.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Legume said:

Try this:

This is a great idea.  Cazzy has a monster chops thread on here somewhere where he sears in bacon grease to finish them.  I've done a variation on this several times, and it's pretty easy and unique.
    Turncoat.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Legume said:

Try this:

Turncoat.
    LOL.  I happen to believe there's more than one good answer to this question, tough guy.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Tenderloin wouldn't be on my radar for a wow factor, but if you insist, MBs braciole from Italian Grill would suit your needs.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/05/beef-braciole-pinwheel-style-recipe.html
    I did this when I first got the book some time back.

Tenderloin, for as overpriced and overrated as it stands, needs help.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    Options
    Focker said:
    Tenderloin wouldn't be on my radar for a wow factor, but if you insist, MBs braciole from Italian Grill would suit your needs.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/05/beef-braciole-pinwheel-style-recipe.html

And with the proper help, Au Poivre, or board sauce impresses most pallets.  You have to know how to embellish it so it can be outstanding.  Braciole is pretty but overrated for me.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    2-3 tri tip roasts could feed a good gathering and have some wow factor lightly smoked and reverse seared
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:

And with the proper help, Au Poivre, or board sauce impresses most pallets.  You have to know how to embellish it so it can be outstanding.  Braciole is pretty but overrated for me.
    Yep, let's polish this turd and overpower with heavy peppercorn, white sauce.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    Options
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:

Damn good shid.  Beats the hell out of the braciole prep and outcome overpowered by vegetables and cheese.
  • Focker
    edited July 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:

Damn good shid.  Beats the hell out of the braciole prep and outcome overpowered by vegetables and cheese.
    I take that back.  You're right.
    The no fat filet, then dredged in peppercorn, then smothered in sauce, is a much better option.

Don't hate cuz you can't butterfly a tenderloin.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:

Man, this sounds good.....

if you have a flank steak
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:

The no fat filet, then dredged in peppercorn, then smothered in sauce, is a much better option.

My knife skilz are borderline for sure.  No hate Brandon.  My Au Poivre is life changing ;)
    when do you work?
  • JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    I would go for a nice prime rib, low and slow till it reaches an IT of 130-135 then crank 'er up to 500 and sear that SOB  for a good 15 min.  Rub the outside with a generous amount of salt and pepper before hand and let it come up to room temp for about 2 hours.  Add a side of mac and cheese also finished on the egg, add a few grilled asparagus and I'm coming over for dinner!
    Southwestern CT
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lol another beef
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I would go for a nice prime rib, low and slow till it reaches an IT of 130-135 then crank 'er up to 500 and sear that SOB  for a good 15 min.  Rub the outside with a generous amount of salt and pepper before hand and let it come up to room temp for about 2 hours.  Add a side of mac and cheese also finished on the egg, add a few grilled asparagus and I'm coming over for dinner!
    Will your pee stink?
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lol another beef
    When you eat beef does your pee stink and do you hate your dishwasher?
  • Focker
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:

My knife skilz are borderline for sure.  No hate Brandon.  My Au Poivre is life changing ;)
    when do you work?
    I go back Thursday.
    Are you bringing Au Poivre up to the Unit for us?

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hans61
    Options
    lol another beef
    When I was in elementary if there was a silent but deadly fart this one kid would always say "who beefed?" 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:
    bgebrent said:
    Focker said:

when do you work?
    I go back Thursday.
    Are you bringing Au Poivre up to the Unit for us?

As long as you're bringing braciole to the hospital tomorrow.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    lol another beef
    When I was in elementary if there was a silent but deadly fart this one kid would always say "who beefed?" 
    The dreaded SBD!
  • Hans61
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    lol another beef
    The dreaded SBD!
    https://youtu.be/57Ul0qSQgeA
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    lol another beef
    The dreaded SBD!
    What's the equation for that?