Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swamp Chicken

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
i caught some red snapper a couple of weeks ago and our captain was telling us about grilling the throats, aka swamp chicken. Anyone ever done this? If so, how did you do it? 
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    They are good but kind of a PITA to get the meat cut away. My granddad always hacked the head off and ripped them out instead of going through the trouble to scale them. You don't keep as much meat but you also don't waste an hour sitting there trying to get every last scrap of salvageable meat.

You can cook them much like a whole trout over a campfire. Just some aluminum foil, oil, and spices. Or on a soaked cedar board.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    If you haven't cut them up yet I would suggest just scaling the fish and cooking it whole. A little salt and pepper, maybe some Tsunami Spin. Cook it on a cedar plank with the heads on, then when you get in the 130s pull them off, grab the bottom lip, give it a tug and pull that part off, then throw it on the grill for a few more minutes. It's better when it's cooked a little longer than the fillets. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Options
    they are already filleted and the throats have been cut out. 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX