Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sous vide short ribs

Options
was thrown a curve this weekend, brother shows up with these. about 18 hours at 131f, then onto the grill an hour plus. can i say grease fat and more grease. tender though. was the mistake just too low a temp in the sous vide, would a shorter time in the 160's be better.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    That's cool that they were tender at such a low temp, basically med. beef temp. Ive been wanting to try this and cook sous vide for a while. Ive read some recipes were they run up to 72hrs at a lower temp like you did. I had luck with brisket at 155 as well, so maybe like you say 155-160 will work great, but I think I would let it run at least 24hours. If I try it I will report back.
  • ShesGotEggs
    ShesGotEggs Posts: 103
    Options
    I have only done short ribs once, but did 140 degrees for 48 hours in the sous vide before finishing them off on the BGE. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    poster said:
    That's cool that they were tender at such a low temp, basically med. beef temp. Ive been wanting to try this and cook sous vide for a while. Ive read some recipes were they run up to 72hrs at a lower temp like you did. I had luck with brisket at 155 as well, so maybe like you say 155-160 will work great, but I think I would let it run at least 24hours. If I try it I will report back.
    wasnt sure what would happen, he brought the london broil piece as well, wanted that med/rare so it went into the same pot for less time. cooked the ribs into the high 180's on the grill but the fat never rendered out.  theres always a curve when you're half way through the bourbon slushy recipe
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    I have only done short ribs once, but did 140 degrees for 48 hours in the sous vide before finishing them off on the BGE. 
    i definitely need more experience with this thing, maybe buy a book, no internet connection up there to make these calls =)
    fukahwee maine

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Too short and too low.  Glad they turned out for you.  Internet is overrated.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga