Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron grid -- which way for steak?

Options
I've always used the CI grid with the narrow edges up for steaks. Makes beautiful sear marks.

But I've read so much about folks who sous vide their steak, then sear on a really hot CI pan or griddle, in order to maximize the Maillard reactions that give so much flavor.

So I'm wondering if I've been doing it wrong and I should have the flat side of the grid on top.

Any ideas?
Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No real right or wrong. Grid just holds your food. It's just personal preference. I normally only do flat side up for smaller items and fish. If you want wider grill marks give it a go and see for yourself what you like.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You answered your own question... "sear on a really hot CI pan or griddle, in order to maximize the Maillard reactions that give so much flavor."

I do steaks (lately anyway) at 250° dome on a stock OEM grid to about 115-118° flipping periodically. Then I remove it from the heat, put the CI pan on and crank up the heat to 5-600°. Sear for a minute or so per side... Wall to wall Maillard. Haven't used my CI grid in 2-3 years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I do steaks (lately anyway) at 250° dome on a stock OEM grid to about 115-118° flipping periodically. Then I remove it from the heat, put the CI pan on and crank up the heat to 5-600°. Sear for a minute or so per side... Wall to wall Maillard. Haven't used my CI grid in 2-3 years.
    That sounds about ideal. Think I'll try that method next steak. Thanks!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.