Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something to cook

Options
I've got a hankering to cook something outdoors. I've been working harvest hours for 12 days now and have not cooked a meal since. Me and the wife. Ill be off in 25 minutes, she isn't a fan of bone-in-chicken....go!
Pratt, KS

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Sounds like you need a delicious medium rare steak my friend. I prefer ribeye done reverse sear with heavy salt and pepper.

and a cold beer (or nice red wine)  to make sure it goes down smoothly...

cheers
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Or pork chops - cooked to 140.  I've gotten to where I like them as much as steak.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Boneless leg of lamb slathered with garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper in olive oil, cook raised direct until medium rare, about 130F, let rest uncovered for a bit, serve off a cutting board with more of the spices/oil as a board sauce.  Slice and dredge the meat through the board sauce.  Serve with a tzatziki or horseradish sauce. 

Unless you don't like lamb....
    Options
    Boneless leg of lamb slathered with garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper in olive oil, cook raised direct until medium rare, about 130F, let rest uncovered for a bit, serve off a cutting board with more of the spices/oil as a board sauce.  Slice and dredge the meat through the board sauce.  Serve with a tzatziki or horseradish sauce. 

wish I could find lamb around here...smaller Wal-Mart or Dillons for those of you who have Kroger stores.
    Pratt, KS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You can apply the same process with a top sirloin or sirloin tip roast.
    Options
    You can apply the same process with a top sirloin or sirloin tip roast.
    Or a turd.  It would still be good if you cook it the Nola describes.  Although you might choose to go to a higher temp.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Options
    (I'd avoid cooking excrement, especially if you want to get laid later.)

Also, you can do a little variation on coq au vin:  (easy to find ingredients) Buy boneless (for the wifey) chicken (I think thighs taste the best).  Smoke them a bit over some oak (optional) before searing them in the pork fat (bacon or lardons) then cook everything else on the egg for that special je ne sais quoi. 

https://cooking.nytimes.com/guides/35-how-to-make-coq-au-vin

Options
    If it had been 12days since I egged I'd get back into it with a reverse seared med-rare steak

tonight I have marinaded chicken breasts on the kettle
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • ckh
    ckh Posts: 9
    Options
    MattBTI said:

wish I could find lamb around here...smaller Wal-Mart or Dillons for those of you who have Kroger stores.

Check out EatWild.com, that shows you all of the farms in the U.S. and will even tell you what meats they have to offer. You may be surprised, and find some lamb close to you.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

@nolaegghead
    That was better than the opening lines of Shakespeare's Richard III. 
    Wow.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Ended up cooking some thick-cut pork chops, wrapped in bacon and slathered in rosemare-garlic & olive oil. Raised indirect @400
    Pratt, KS