Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

17 blackstone or weber 22 master touch grill

Options
I have an XL and small gas grill (weber Q) and want to add something to do veggies on and bacon and burgers. I have a 17 in lodge pan/skillet I could use with the weber or could get one of the grill mats. However seeing the 17 blackstone on Griffins Grub site I am undecided which would be better. I keep all in the car breezeway open but under roof and cook there.
what do you cook on the small blackstone that would make it better or is it just that it heats faster.  Also will a griddle do veggies as well as a grill will.
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How big is your family? You might want to go 28" with the Blackstone. It's my wife and I and we use the 36" Blackstone. We used the whole 36" space 3 different times for tailgating after softball last night. 17" might get a little cramped since you say you have an XL egg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited June 2017
    Options

I wouldn't want to go smalller than my 36, and use every bit of it.  Lots here have the 28 and like it.   I think I'd just use a 17" skillet rather than the 17" blackstone, but I've got no personal experience with that size.  I've also got the mastertouch you mention and paired with a slow and seer, it is a fantastic cooker.  Granted mine doesn't get used much anymore.   Not sure that was much help though.
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    All around, I would go with the Mastertouch.
    Bacon is best done in your oven on a halfsheet with a rack, 300 until done. 

Veggies you could do in a Lodge CS grill pan or SS mesh grill basket, or your CI skillet.  As long as your IR temp is good, you won't tell a difference.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-CRSGP12-Grilling-Pre-Seasoned-12-inch/dp/B00J9QVQ7C
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Blackstone does also make a 22" griddle.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Blackstone does also make a 22" griddle.
    Didn't they make a 22" for home shopping network? 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I don't know the deets but apparently HSN has exclusive rights to it for some period of time. Unknown when (or even if) it will be sold by others.

Regardless, I really like mine. It's a perfect size for my needs.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Thanks,  I think I will go with the MasterTouch Webber and a good CI griddle or veggie basket
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston