Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie question

How often do you calibrate the thermo? I did it when I got the egg 3 months ago. Am I good or should it be checked periodically? What you say?
Woodbridge, Va.

Comments

• E3MeatCo
    E3MeatCo Posts: 6
    we do it regularly because we are grilling so much meat on a weekly basis but I would say it depends on how much you are using your egg??
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    I've maybe checked  it 3 times in the last year before big cooks where I really wanted to make sure everything went right. Never actually had to make an adjustment. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • When it does not look right. Maybe 3-4 times in 10 years
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I am on the other side of the spectrum.  I will check it before a low&slow cook if I haven't done one within the previous month or so.  Trust your indication but you have to have confidence in its performance.  
    Only takes 5 minutes or so.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • defurche
    defurche Posts: 22
    How exactly do I calibrate my thermometer? Test it in boiling water? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @defurche - you've got it.  Bring a container of water to a rolling boil.  Insert your thermo and note the reading.  Adjust out any off-set using the nut on the back and recheck.  
    BTW- the BGE tel-tru thermos are extremely good at holding their calibration.  I may have had to make around a 5 *F tweak once over the past several years-and that's with two BGE thermos.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • defurche
    defurche Posts: 22
    @lousubcap - Thanks! I'll do that tomorrow. 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    edited May 2017
    If you don't read 212 degrees, the boiling point of water at sea level, use one of the many online calculators to adjust for your elevation. Here at 4400' water boils at 203 degrees. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV