Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gravy

Options
Has anyone made gravy using the drippings/liquid after smoking pork butts/shoulders? Would it be any good to use for that?

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Never used the drippings from the egg, the drip pan tends to burn the "spooge". I have drained the liquid in the slow cooker, into the fridge to seperate the fat, skim it and then use the liquid with a BBQ sauce as a mop or serving sauce. To make gravy SWMBO will use it with packaged gravy mix rather than water. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Used them from a turkey before. It was pretty good. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There was an Egger w. the handle "Mad Max" who published a great recipe for T-day turkey which made gravy from drippings that fell into white wine.

The crucial thing seemed to be enough wine to keep the drippings from burning. So, keep the drippings from getting scorched.

I've tried using pork drippings, but my results were too smokey for my liking. I suspect that the fat really grabs the smoke flavor, and its hard to remove enough.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Meat drippings run through a fat separator are always a good ingredient for gravy. My experience matches @gdenby caution to find a way to keep the liquid from burning - or reducing excessively. I haven't used drippings from the egg for that reason. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    gdenby said:
    There was an Egger w. the handle "Mad Max" who published a great recipe for T-day turkey which made gravy from drippings that fell into white wine.

The crucial thing seemed to be enough wine to keep the drippings from burning. So, keep the drippings from getting scorched.

I've tried using pork drippings, but my results were too smokey for my liking. I suspect that the fat really grabs the smoke flavor, and its hard to remove enough.
    There "was" ??? an egger named MadMax makes him sound deceased!  =)
    last I knew after Max retired he works full time for Chris C at the Dizzy Pig Empire! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Mad max turkey is some of the best!   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    Thanks for the response guys!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    RRP said:
    gdenby said:
    There was an Egger w. the handle "Mad Max" who ...
    There "was" ??? an egger named MadMax makes him sound deceased!  =)
    last I knew after Max retired he works full time for Chris C at the Dizzy Pig Empire! 
    Poor choice of words on my part. I meant vis-a-vis forum posts. Don't recall him posting here, and haven't noticed him on the older forum, which I don't visit a lot. I knew he was still doing the T-day hotline a couple of years ago. Good to know his talents are w. DP now.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I, like other, have used the drippings from turkey to make gravy and it turned out really well.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA