Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh fish

Options
g37
g37 Posts: 450
edited April 2017 in EggHead Forum
lucky to catch some mahi mahi/dorado today. Grilling these guys tomorrow. 
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yup
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Fresh!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Best eating fish in the sea if you ask me.  I love tuna as well, but if both caught at the same time and give a choice, I would take the mahi.

How are you going to cook them? 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nothing beats fresh fish. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Gonna be a good day

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I really enjoy grilling thawed mahi mahi from Costco, fresh will be so good! We like cavenders - what seasoning do you plan to use?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    My favorite! Hope to catch some one day too.
    Jacksonville FL
  • g37
    Options
    I'm still debating on what to season them with or how to grill them. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @g37 said:
    Pack them up and send them to me.  I will make these difficult decisions.

Those look awesome.  What style of fishing is employed to catch these?  Excuse my saltwater fishing ignorance.  Every time we charter a boat we go out a real long ways and anchor and drop our lines to the bottom.  Are these guys in the flats?  Or do you "troll" for them?

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    g37 said:
    Some blackening seasoning and hot cast iron would be my choice. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @g37 said:

Those look awesome.  What style of fishing is employed to catch these?  Excuse my saltwater fishing ignorance.  Every time we charter a boat we go out a real long ways and anchor and drop our lines to the bottom.  Are these guys in the flats?  Or do you "troll" for them?

They are deep water fish, but I've caught them both trolling and casting.  They school, so when you start hitting them, you can get a bunch.
    NOLA
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @g37 I cook these often as we catch a bunch of them over the summer up here.

A few drops of oil on each side to allow the following to stick: a bit of garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, salt, pepper, white pepper, and a sprinkle of cayenne to desired heat level is fantastic.  Paprika is optional, and certainly does not hurt. You do not need a lot of each of those. After applying all of those, only about 50% of the fish should be covered with the rub.  You do not want it covered like you run a pork butt. Finally, do not overcook! 

And I know this is blasphemy here, but I do not like Mahi cooked on the egg if grilling direct. I like it better cooked on the gas grill. Fresh Mahi flavor is so pure, any smoke hurts it in my opinion. <gasp!!>
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    kl8ton said:
    @g37 said:

They are deep water fish, but I've caught them both trolling and casting.  They school, so when you start hitting them, you can get a bunch.
    To build on that, they are also usually structure oriented. If you are out in blue water and there is a weed patch, a floating log, board, buoy.... anything, we always stop and throw a few pieces of bait out. If they are there, you will see them grab it.  Then they usually jump like crazy once hooked. Getting them on a flyrod is the best as they are curious and fairly easy to hook.
    Large and MiniMax

• g37
    Options
    We got them trolling. Found sum rubbish and there they were. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • g37
    Options
    @Sea2Ski I'm gonna do both egg and fry.  My friends had sum last night raw which they said was really good.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • g37
    Options
    I forgot I had pizza dough defrosted.  Didn't want to waste it so I made pizza first.  Then I decided to bake the mahi mahi in the egg.  I'm experimenting tonight I crusted some of the fish with chips and just seasoned some with house divided.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Beautifu catch.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    beautiful fish and epic meal.   Wow thanks for posting

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Beautiful fish!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Looks great. Were I fish in Mexico they have taken a beating and we have never caught one. Last years Dorado shoot out on the East Cape there were 106 teams and 7 fish were caught the largest 7 pounds!! They are great eating though enjoy!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Flint, Michigan
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I love some mahi.   I don't see much of it in my area, but I sure egg a bunch of salmon.  
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I just grilled some on the egg on Saturday that I had caught in Mexico. I just seasoned with DP Swamp Venom and grilled at 400 direct. Whatever you do, don't overcook.
    @g37, raw Mahi is very good, ceviche also.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset