Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

People over tomorrow - starting to cook tonight.

Options
Started this about 6:45.  13.5 lbs. with some oak and cherry. 

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Good luck!
    Greensboro, NC
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Thanks, but I feel no pressure. I am not crazy about brisket <ducking under table>. Only once did I have it and think "wow this is good", so I rarely make it. I will eat it, but it is not something I ever crave. The friends coming over requested it, so I make it for them.  He loves it and likes what I make so I make it.

Taking a break - that was hard work 

Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    And the second part just went on...

Large and MiniMax

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks like a killer meal tomorrow!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks like a great start on tomorrow's banquet!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Good looking set up. Post some after pics. 

I'm the same about brisket (mostly red meat. I don't do it enough to master it). But if brisket is good...I don't say no. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Looking good.  Slept well too.  Came out this morning and the egg is purring at a perfect 225 without any controller. 
    I think I am on track for a 2:00 meal 

Butts are a little lower than I would like, but I should still be okay.  I think. 

Large and MiniMax

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    That's one real good looking brisket. Should be a winner. Prediction: Good times are in your immediate future. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Great cook and setup right there.  Gonna be quite a banquet.
    Whenever I have to drape a brisket to get it to fit at the start of a cook (LBGE) I find that it cooks faster than planned.  I attribute it to dome proximity for a few hours. (Either that or the friggin cow messin' with me.)   Once shrinkage takes over I remove the fire brick.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great cook and setup right there.  Gonna be quite a banquet.
    Whenever I have to drape a brisket to get it to fit at the start of a cook (LBGE) I find that it cooks faster than planned.  I attribute it to dome proximity for a few hours. (Either that or the friggin cow messin' with me.)   Once shrinkage takes over I remove the fire brick.  

Thanks!  Like I said, I rarely do briskets. 1 maybe 2 a year.  This one measured 22.5 after trimming.  I had to drape it over an inverted V roasting rack trying to compress it and fold it and make it as high/short as possible to fit.  Since the clearance between the pork and the brisket would have been less than a half inch, I figured that I would leave it in place for the duration of the cook for airflow. Who knows if it was the right thing to do. :confused:
    Large and MiniMax

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Sea2Ski -  as good or better reason for the continued drape as I have heard.  For the future (or not) I will foil protect the thin end section of the flat for a good part of the cook in a weak attempt to keep it from drying out while the remainder of the cow cooks.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Wow, your photos are an inspiration for an Adjustable Rig!  Can't wait to see the finished photos!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Well it was a success. And I will get right to the pictures.....

Finished brisket:

We all know how great pulled pork is when it comes off the egg. Our friend, while he had had it several times in the past, never saw it pulled, so I let him do the honors. Funny how we all do the same thing.  You see a few pieces that just look too good to put in the bowl, so you eat them when pulling it.  He did just that.  He could not believe how easy and good it was.

Sides were broccoli and some rice pilaf. 
    I think that the flat got a bit overdone, but it was still good. My friend and wife kept asking for slice after slice. I see other pictures of this shot on this forum, so I did it as well. Not sure what it is that you look for, but here it is.....

My wife really liked the brisket, and said I will have to do another one again soon.  I just do not get the attraction to it, but if that is what it takes to keep her happy....

This was dessert straight from from the local store.

@pgprescott your prediction was spot on.  Any lottery numbers floating around in your head?
    Large and MiniMax

• lousubcap
    Options
    Great results and banquet right there.
    With an outcome like that you need to figure out how to get past the brisket deal and go again.  Any time you get SWMBO to buy in is time to strike.  Congrats.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Nicely done sir!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Nice all the way around!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Well it was a success. And I will get right to the pictures.....

Finished brisket:

We all know how great pulled pork is when it comes off the egg. Our friend, while he had had it several times in the past, never saw it pulled, so I let him do the honors. Funny how we all do the same thing.  You see a few pieces that just look too good to put in the bowl, so you eat them when pulling it.  He did just that.  He could not believe how easy and good it was.

Sides were broccoli and some rice pilaf. 
    I think that the flat got a bit overdone, but it was still good. My friend and wife kept asking for slice after slice. I see other pictures of this shot on this forum, so I did it as well. Not sure what it is that you look for, but here it is.....

My wife really liked the brisket, and said I will have to do another one again soon.  I just do not get the attraction to it, but if that is what it takes to keep her happy....

This was dessert straight from from the local store.

@pgprescott your prediction was spot on.  Any lottery numbers floating around in your head?
    I just won the powerball! Oh wait, that was just the powerball. $4. Darn!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I'd be quite proud of that spread. great looking grub!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That's one heck of a great looking twofer right there. How was the timing on the finish for each?
    Stillwater, MN
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Outstanding cook there brother. I agree with you completely on the brisket. Rather do a tri tip or chuck roast any day. That said, yours looks amazing. Well done!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Sea2Ski
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That's one heck of a great looking twofer right there. How was the timing on the finish for each?
    I was the blind squirrel for the day. 
    One butt was done 1.5 hours before they got there, and the brisket came off minutes before they arrived.  The last butt came off just before eat time.   So my buddy pulled the rested one, and I did the other. The brisket had a 45 min rest and was sliced table side.
    While I planned on everything to be done early, I got l lucky and had pretty much perfect timing.

I am not sure who was more shocked - me or my wife.
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Outstanding cook there brother. I agree with you completely on the brisket. Rather do a tri tip or chuck roast any day. That said, yours looks amazing. Well done!
    @jeremiah Thank you.  If I knew you were going to be around the corner from me on your whirlwind trip, you could have stopped by.  Okay - not really around the corner, but about 45 mins - 1 hr away.  Door is always open man....
    Large and MiniMax

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    That's one fine looking piece of meteorite. Damn shame you don't like brisket more!

:clap:
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice spread and job on all protein.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great job!   Everything looked really great!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95