Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket advice

Options
Hi all.
I've posted in the past looking for advice on doing a brisket. I am gradually improving and am looking for some more advice.
The last brisket I cooked was 6.5 lbs. I put it on at 8 am at around 225. It was done in time for dinner (including an hour rest). It was delicious and moist but I noticed that pieces I had cut that weren't eaten within about 15 mins got dry very quickly. Is this the nature of a brisket, or was there something I've done wrong? 
I have another brisket (point again, 7½ lbs) which I will be coming on Saturday. I would love to continue to improve with your expertise!

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    The nature of brisket. It can hold for hours as a whole brisket in the Foil Towel Cooler method. Once it is sliced though, it needs to go on a plate and be eaten. 
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    As above-it will dry before your eyes.  Only slice on demand to enjoy the beef goodness.
    BTW-great score with a point.  The higher fat content will be more forgiving with the cook.  If a point only the "go til it probes like buttah in the thickest part of flat doesn't hold" for the finish-line.  I would run to around 210-215*F in the point to get a good fat rendering.  Of course, those temps are based on where a packer point is when the flat declares victory.
    I have never separated a packer and just run the point.  Regardless, enjoy the cook and eats.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JoeGrill
    JoeGrill Posts: 24
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I agree with the comments above.  Also, check out the brisket recipes on AmazingRibs.com - I used his tips and methods the second time i smoked a brisket and it turned out wonderful.  Many great tips and recipes on Meathead's site.  

Cooking a brisket is tricky and there are so many different methods it can get confusing.  Try one out, build up your brisket confidence and above all, have some fun.
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    I'll look at all the suggestions you guys have provided. Thanks so far!
    Prepping the egg tomorrow for sat's cook!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    And?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Wish I could get just points around here. Burnt Ends for days.....
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Gym
    Options
    I've done 3 briskets so far and all from different butchers. Never had a problem getting a point. They always ask what i want. I guess I'm lucky!

Advice on cooking time and temp???
    I was thinking of putting it on around 6 am at 225. Thinking it would be done by 4 and could rest for a couple hours? Dinner at 6pm.
  • Gym
    Options
    Oh, and it's about 7½lbs.