Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What the F(arenheit)?!

This is my 6th time cooking butts and 3rd time turbo.   I was shooting for  low to mid 300's with an ideal target of around 330 as usual.  I've never had a problem maintaining temp until today.   Two 8# butts going for pulled pork later.   Had probe at grate so was going by that temp rather than dome, and it was all over the board.   Fluctuated up and down by 35-40 degrees, and the slightest adjustment to get it under control would send it in the opposite direction by about that same amount.    I've now run out of lump as well, also a first.   Had it loaded up to the plate setter like I normally do.

Any ideas?   Wind was very slight, certainly not enough to have caused that kind of wild ride with the temps.   Could my probe be going bad?   Or is it more likely just something to write off as one of those times where it just doesn't go according to plan.   

More importantly, I've got the butts in the oven at 325 until the grill gets back to temp.   Never had to resort to that before so just need some reassurance that's not going to jack it up.

--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    At this point I would leave it in the oven until you figure out whats wrong. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited February 2017
    35* isn't nothing for a turbo butt. Stop playing with it and let it ride where it wants to. My guess is the wind is blowing towards the bottom vent or it's leaking somewhere 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• It wasn't the temp swing itself so much as it was just not wanting it to keep going up to a point where it was a problem.  That's only reason I'd try to dial it down a slight notch, but then I'd get too low.  Or at least lower than I needed to be based on when it needs to be done.   

Winds around 5-7mph right now and have been most of day.   If it's leaking, how is that identified?  

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Grate temps can swing quite a bit even if the fire doesn't change.  Adjusting to these temp variations can compound things.  Was the dome temp swinging before you started playing with the vents?  I trust the dome temp as a more reliable indicator of true changes to the fire (not necessarily the exact temp, but changing temps).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Take the dfmt off, open the bottom 2", and let em cook!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Normally my probe and dome temp settle in after a while to a point where they are fairly the same temp.   Until that time though I have tended to go by the probe/grate for butts and ribs.   The dome didn't seem to be going too nuts along the way, but something was just out of norm for me to have completely run out of lump between hour 4 and 5.   Who knows, maybe it was the lump itself, though that too was same as I always use.  

It's back on now riding in the 300's so am sure all will end well, but this has definitely been my craziest cook in the few yrs I've had mine.   

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone