Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket Help /Questions

Options
first this needs to be said.....I suck at brisket (it's my nemesis ) i only do it once a year and today is the day.  I have a full wagyu packer trimmed down to about 10LBS. it has been on since about 12am dialed it at 235 and is currently at 164 and i'm going unwrapped no foil, no butchers paper. my question is that i just checked on it with my thermapen and the point feel great but the flat feel tight and over cooked.. after all my reading and web surfing i know that once it hit's 200 and it rests for 2 to 3 hours if should be fine but i can help but think i KILLED the flat and not in a good way.

Thoughts?

Also for you burnt ends people way to you remove the point to make your burnt ends?
Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    If I understand your post, the flat is at 164?

if so, it is not done. It needs to get to at least 190 (I've heard of Wagyu being done at 188) and probe like butter. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    As above, pay absolutely no attention to anything with the point.  The high fat content will make sure it is good to go whenever the flat declares victory.  The key to the end game with brisket is the thick part of the flat probing like buttah.  That won't happen til generally in the high 190's-low 200's.  Since wagu here it may release (probe like buttah) at a lower temp but I have only seen that once.  
    Once the thick part of the flat is there along with a good majority of the rest of the flat-time to pull, sit on a cooling rack for a good 20 minutes or so then wrap and pack (FTC) for a few hours.  When ready to slice, only slice on demand and always against the grain.  Franklin has a great video on slicing a brisket that demystifies the process.
    Enjoy the cook and eats.  
    No comment on the burnt ends  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.