Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pecan Shells

Options
anyone using pecan shellls for smoke. I use pecan wood but have some shells and wondering?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I don't see why they wouldn't work...except it may be a little oily. 

give it a run and let us know. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Try it. I've seen Filipino folks using coconut shells.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I have used both pecan shells as well as in tact hickory nuts! The pecan shells don't last long so don't expect a lot from them.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mickey said:
    anyone using pecan shellls for smoke. I use pecan wood but have some shells and wondering?
    Brother Mick, I have used them on a whim when "grilling". Never tried them for smoke as I have unlimited access to pecan wood. 
    With that said, I have seen numerous folks comment about using them for smoke on a few different forums. Seems to be a mixed bag of opinions on the subject. Some say they are great, some say that the oil is an issue. 
    On that note, in my opinion the oil should not be an issue on dried pecans. I could understand it if the pecans were very green. If you use the Google machine, there are several places that sell pecan shells for cooking. So some folks must really like them. Give it a go and let us know what you think.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.