Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mattmans first try at Hot Tubbing.

1lb ribeye on the cooktop at 106° for 1hr.  

Made some cream cheese, scallions, bacon and cheddar stuffed shrooms with a dusting of panko on top.  On the mini at 400° indirect 

Opened the mini to 650° direct to sear off the steak 

And plated with some leftover green beans.  

I might try  this again but I really think that cooking hot fast and flipping was just as good but maybe I seared to long.  Ok one more to correct that before I hang up the hot tub    

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Dude. That is everything I love on a square plate. Beeeyouuuteeefoooooollllll!!!!!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Looks medium and maybe that was your intent.  I think steak is well served with the options on the grill.  SV or hot tub for me is better with veggies, pork and seafood.  Pretty plate brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @bgebrent - I've been holding out on hot tub and SV but thought I'd give the HT a try.  Could have been the cut but I'm way more happy with hot n flip on the steak than hot tub.  I thought maybe it was because it was my first HT try but glad to hear you've got the same thoughts.  Thanks you sir.  

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like another winner to me brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• I like a SV thick cut with screaming hot CI finish, but I'm all about the crust. Different strokes... I wouldn't push that plate away tho...
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    I've had the same experience as you with SV steaks. To me, they were not nearly as good as cooked hot and fast on a grill. I've tried them a couple of times, either I get no seared flavor or I overcook them. My wife got tired of me trying it and making subpar steaks, so I'm banned from SV steaks....
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • The food looks great, as always buddy.  

My opinion, a different steak would work better for one.  Instead of a ribeye.  Thicker would work better too, and appears to over shot some, unless you were trying to hit med.  

I prefer a CI skillet with butter bath garlic finish than on a grate.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Great diamond plate cook and presentation.  You may want to go direct for the sear on your next HT experiment.
    And @YukonRon - no such thing as a square plate.  That's a diamond plate... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    lousubcap said:
    Great diamond plate cook and presentation.  You may want to go direct for the sear on your next HT experiment.
    And @YukonRon - no such thing as a square plate.  That's a diamond plate... ;)
    Square meal?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    The food looks great, as always buddy.  

My opinion, a different steak would work better for one.  Instead of a ribeye.  Thicker would work better too, and appears to over shot some, unless you were trying to hit med.  

I prefer a CI skillet with butter bath garlic finish than on a grate.  
    Oh yes it over shot some! Lol.  I like a hot med rare.  I'll try the CI next time   Thank you for the recommendation. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    @Mattman3969 How long did you sear it per side?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mattman3969
    Bout 3 mins.  Just enough for the color/crust that I like

analyze adapt overcome

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Bout 3 mins.  Just enough for the color/crust that I like
    I've never hot tubbed, so fwiw, my analysis is lower the water temp 5-8 degrees, do everything else the same, and you'll be where you want, you were pretty close this time from the looks of it :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
     I've been holding out on hot tub and SV but thought I'd give the HT a try. 
    That's where I am. I'm glad you're working this out first. Great cook. You make the mini shine my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Get the woo out of there and go half the time per side. I am not a fan of sous vide on steaks or tri tips but really like the hot tub. 
  • Mattman3969
    @lit - the coal was within 1 1/2-2" of the grate. Does that much distance make a difference?   

analyze adapt overcome

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I was just going by color. At 3 minutes with my sears it would be burnt crisp. I usually have flames coming around it and like a minute maybe minute and a half. It looks like the gray is a little deep in your picture like a medium. Not sure where the difference is but usually when I hot tub even if I cook to 130 the steaks still look almost rare with very little gray. Did you check temps at all?
  • Mattman3969
    The temp on the meat was 110° per the TP when it went on the egg.  I didn't check after the egg.  I agree on the gray and the tender bite I'm used to was not there.  

analyze adapt overcome

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    did you close the lid during the sear? It looks like the final temp of that steak was at least 130 or so - I think that little egg imparted a lot of energy to all sides of the steak at once and really cooked it through! Still a beautiful plate and a tasty looking dinner. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mattman3969
    I did close the egg.  Your theory makes sense 

analyze adapt overcome

• Maybe should mention, my CI is on induction eye. No egg involved.  :o
  • Mattman3969
    Damnit Jason that's cheatin.  I'll prolly go back to my tried and true 

analyze adapt overcome

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Looks pretty solid over here. I wouldn't mind a little tastovision
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    @Mattman3969 Been thinking about trying this. Was it hard to keep the the water 106 for an hour? Can you share instructions?
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Mattman3969
    106 is where the lowest setting on my cooktop settled in. I did nothing but turn it on.  Lol

analyze adapt overcome

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Easy enough. Thanks!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • I will admit, at first sight of this Matt, I thought of Hot Tub Timemachine.  

hot tub time machine
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site