Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood ordered

Options

I hope all these lump charcoal arguments are correct and it's good, cause my friend and I are going in on 8 bags
Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    You will not be sorry, but will be spoiled. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    Options
    Got 5 bags myself the other day.  They don't mess around with shipping.
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Spoiled is a good thing 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Jameson19 said:

I hope all these lump charcoal arguments are correct and it's good, cause my friend and I are going in on 8 bags

From what I've heard they ship in boxes of 3.  If you have time you might wanna change your order to 9 to help eliminate shipping carnage.  BTW you will love it 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jameson19
    Options
    Didn't know that. I'll call them in the morning

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I love Rockwood!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options

From what I've heard they ship in boxes of 3.  If you have time you might wanna change your order to 9 to help eliminate shipping carnage.  BTW you will love it 
    Correct see pic 

Jacksonville FL
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Should be free shipping  over $99!  And yes, I always receive a max box packaging of 3 bags. I've always received undamaged, uncrushed Rockwood from Firecraft.

No complaints.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Jameson19
    Options
    Good to hear. I'm gonna up the order to 9 bags. They are back ordered until 8/2016 anyway 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Jameson19 said:
    Good to hear. I'm gonna up the order to 9 bags. They are back ordered until 8/2016 anyway 

No, it will be quicker than that......truck is getting loaded right now.  It should be there Wednesday afternoon.  We tried to get this to them yet last week, but there's a huge shortage on available trucks in the Midwest right now for some reason.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

... there's a huge shortage on available trucks in the Midwest right now for some reason.
    @Ozzie_Isaac 's moving his eggs, Rockwood, and all the crap he's been storing at my house to Arizona right now ... should have lots of trucks available next week.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    What have you used previously?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Your FedEx guy is not going to like you anymore.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Name changed to protect the guilty?

Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - Did I see the price in my local ACE Hardware as $25.xx?  If so, the FireCraft deal seems to be a good one.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - Did I see the price in my local ACE Hardware as $25.xx?  If so, the FireCraft deal seems to be a good one.
    I would imagine some distributors like a gain a little more on their margins, unfortunately.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Jameson19
    Options
    Your FedEx guy is not going to like you anymore.
    Oh well. The FedEx and UPS guys have been spoiled delivering boxes of the wife's shoes once every 3-4 days from Amazon and Macy's website. 

I think if I sold all those shoes I could pay cash for an XXL egg. 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Jameson19
    Options
    Jameson19 said:

No, it will be quicker than that......truck is getting loaded right now.  It should be there Wednesday afternoon.  We tried to get this to them yet last week, but there's a huge shortage on available trucks in the Midwest right now for some reason.
    Thanks! I'm not worried, I have 2 bags of BGE charcoal left to use before I run dry

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Have you ever flown first class, and then the next time you fly you're forced to squeeze yourself into a coach seat?

That's how I feel about emptying the dust out of my last bag of Rockwood, and have to use a bag of my backup Royal Smoke.

Y'know, when you're out of Coke and your wife says "have a Pepsi".

Yes... trying to start something on a Monday
    <ducks>

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Top Notch lump charcoal. You'll be pleased with your purchase that's for sure.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jameson19
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Have you ever flown first class, and then the next time you fly you're forced to squeeze yourself into a coach seat?

That's how I feel about emptying the dust out of my last bag of Rockwood, and have to use a bag of my backup Royal Smoke.

Y'know, when you're out of Coke and your wife says "have a Pepsi".

Yes... trying to start something on a Monday
    <ducks>
    The Coke vs Pepsi comment really drove that point home! 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I would imagine some distributors like a gain a little more on their margins, unfortunately.

I don't know what individual Ace stores charge......each is different.  It's not any of our business nor anything we can control.

But when it comes down to commerce, their business/logistics/etc is a lot more complex than a website/catalog.  We ship direct to Firecraft from the plant, then they ship direct to you.  Ace orders get pulled from our St. Louis warehouse, go to their St. Louis crossdocking facility, shipped to their regional warehouse, get picked and shipped to the stores, then occupy valuable shelf space.  LOT more overhead there, so it's not like the are lining their pockets.  No different than most other products on any shelf, compared to what they cost on Amazon.

Ace has been a great vendor for us, their stores sell a LOT of our charcoal.  Almost all the stores are family owned or part of a locally owned group, so I have heard they bargain with the owner/manager.  Sign up for the Ace rewards too.....you'll get coupons in the mail or via email.  Like $5 off $25.
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    My local Ace bleeds green.  And the staff carry the Rockwood to my car and handle it like a carton of eggs.  So they get my business.  Customer service wins every time.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    It comes down to can you afford to drop $100 plus at a time to get the free shipping from firecraft.com or does buying one at a time to buy at Ace or others that carry Rockwood make better sense for your situation. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    My local Ace bleeds green.  And the staff carry the Rockwood to my car and handle it like a carton of eggs.  So they get my business.  Customer service wins every time.

Thet bleed green, yet have a BLUE bge on display???  Haha.  Great place and I believe the first Ace store we ever sold to.
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    They even have a blue chimea.  Good folks for sure.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am spoiled living in KC with my dealer being about 4 miles from my house and they get the Rockwood straight from @stlcharcoal warehouse.  Awesome stuff.  I haven't used anything else since I stated using it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

I don't know what individual Ace stores charge......each is different.  It's not any of our business nor anything we can control.

But when it comes down to commerce, their business/logistics/etc is a lot more complex than a website/catalog.  We ship direct to Firecraft from the plant, then they ship direct to you.  Ace orders get pulled from our St. Louis warehouse, go to their St. Louis crossdocking facility, shipped to their regional warehouse, get picked and shipped to the stores, then occupy valuable shelf space.  LOT more overhead there, so it's not like the are lining their pockets.  No different than most other products on any shelf, compared to what they cost on Amazon.

Ace has been a great vendor for us, their stores sell a LOT of our charcoal.  Almost all the stores are family owned or part of a locally owned group, so I have heard they bargain with the owner/manager.  Sign up for the Ace rewards too.....you'll get coupons in the mail or via email.  Like $5 off $25.
    Could you please convince the Ace Hardware in Oswego,Il to carry Rockwood?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

I completely understand how it works. I was in the automotive parts business for 17 years with NAPA Auto Parts and Carquest and dealt with numerous mom/pop independent jobbers.  I certainly didn't mean that the independent Ace Hardware stores were "lining their pockets" just that overhead changes for each location, resulting in an uneven price point and some locations needing to earn more GP than others. 

Shew... Enough business talk... Back to meat :) 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    dstearn said:

Could you please convince the Ace Hardware in Oswego,Il to carry Rockwood?
    Their restock would come out of the Princeton, IL warehouse, which we are not in.  So, they would need to contact us directly and we would ship to them directly.  Right now, we're available in about 1800 Ace locations around the US.....mainly the east coast, southeast, Gulf states, Texas, and as of last week, the Rockies and Great Plaines.  We add Ace regions as we can, but the Midwest ones will probably be last since we're our own distributor in the Midwest.