Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Installation question

Options
Good morning! I just replaced the base on my medium (previous base cracked).. and when re-attaching the dome, there's a little bit of what I'll describe as an underbite.... picture attached.

Any suggestions on how to correct this so that the dome runs up flush with the base?

thanks in advance
Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    @RRP--probably has the best set of directions

Ron--Knock knock
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Can you post a picture of the back of the egg, that will probably tell the story.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options

Overbite/Underbite: A quote from a poster

"I called this morning and spoke to Dewayne at BGE HQ Customer Service.  He was extremely helpful and guided me through the steps to level out the top.  It was extremely simple to do, even for someone who didn't understand the way these things are put together. 

So basically here's what was the problem and what I did.  The first problem was that the lower band was not wrapped around evenly - it was lower in the rear than in the front.  He explained to me that the lower band should come right up to the edge of the lower gasket all the way around the lower half.  So I loosened the carriage bolt on the lower rear band and GENTLY tapped along the band using a block of wood and a rubber mallet until the band was placed evenly around the whole bottom.  Then I tightened the band.  From that point, the underbite had improved significantly, but there was still a bit of unevenness along the planes where the gaskets met and it still did not pass the dollar bill test.  In fact, the gap on the rear side between the gaskets was slightly worse, but I wasn't worried because I knew there were a couple more steps to 

Next step was to adjust the front to back placement to fine tune the sitting of the top to the bottom.  There are two slotted acorn nuts on the top part of the hinge (above the spring) on both sides of the top that needed to be loosened so that I can 'wiggle' the top into a centered position.  So I loosened all 4 nuts, wiggled it into position, then tightened.  Now the top was centered properly (no under or overbite), but there was still unevenness on the plane of contact - in other words, it still failed the dollar bill test. 

The last step was to somewhat repeat the first step (loosening the carriage bolt) except for the upper band.  Wherever there was the largest gap between the two gaskets, I GENTLY tapped the band upward which essentially pushed the lid downward by it's own weight.  Once I saw that the upper band was positioned in such a way that the entire top part of the egg sat nicely and evenly on the bottom, I tightened the carriage bolt of the top band and vuala!  It was fixed.  Dollar bill test passed all the way around the egg.  No more underbite (or overbite). "

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nole_Fan
    Nole_Fan Posts: 54
    Options
    I will be doing this to mine as well.  Will probably use RRPs method of the 2x4 and clamps as well.

@RRP I thought I remember one post mentioning to remove the springs in the hinge to do this.  Is this necessary?
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • RRP
    Options
    Nole_Fan said:

@RRP I thought I remember one post mentioning to remove the springs in the hinge to do this.  Is this necessary?
    I think that is your call as some do and some don't.
  • joeybrown105
    Options
    thanks a ton @RRP that's helpful... looking forward to getting this fixed up tonight
    Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Hey ron, if the lower band is supposed to sit close to lower gasket. What's  a good position for the upper band?  I've  got a slight under  bite i wanna fix. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • RRP
    Options
    g37 said:
    Hey ron, if the lower band is supposed to sit close to lower gasket. What's  a good position for the upper band?  I've  got a slight under  bite i wanna fix. 
    Sorry - just saw your question. At this point I don't think one pat answer fits - just start trying different ones to see what position gives you the best result.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Thanks ron
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii