Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: For those in the Baton Rouge area

Options
Dave in Florida
Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
Well my son got hired by FAA.  He has been assigned to  Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport in Baton Rouge. Neither of us know anything about this area.  Could those who live in the area direct me on areas to have him look for a place to live?  He is wanting to rent a house.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Don't know the area but I've relo ed several times. Do a search for the top rated school district and start from there. That's always a good bet. 
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I live close,  Covington, hour east of Baton Rouge.  The airport is north of downtown BR on I-110.  Good friends that live there suggest looking in South BR.  Safer, more shopping, food, bars.  LSU is right on the edge of the city limits of BR and I'm sure most apartments in that area are gone during school. Plus on Saturday's in the fall, that area swells to several 100 thousand during home games.  

And I will say this.  Baton Rouge traffic sucks!  I-10 runs right through the middle of it and it's always backed up.  ALWAYS!  Have your son learn the back roads to stay off I-10 as much as possible.  The only interstate in the country that has a bridge over the Mississippi River coming from West Louisiana that goes down to one lane and a sharp right turn that's 35mph.  Crazy!  

Airport and LSU map

South Baton Rouge area.  Mall of Louisiana in this area, tons of apartments.

I hope this helps some.  You or your son feel free to email at smunster@gmail.com   I have several friends living in this area.  Not sure where you're from but it's Africa hot this time of year in south Louisiana!

Good luck,
    Steve
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I live close,  Covington, hour east of Baton Rouge.  The airport is north of downtown BR on I-110.  Good friends that live there suggest looking in South BR.  Safer, more shopping, food, bars.  LSU is right on the edge of the city limits of BR and I'm sure most apartments in that area are gone during school. Plus on Saturday's in the fall, that area swells to several 100 thousand during home games.  

And I will say this.  Baton Rouge traffic sucks!  I-10 runs right through the middle of it and it's always backed up.  ALWAYS!  Have your son learn the back roads to stay off I-10 as much as possible.  The only interstate in the country that has a bridge over the Mississippi River coming from West Louisiana that goes down to one lane and a sharp right turn that's 35mph.  Crazy!  

Airport and LSU map

South Baton Rouge area.  Mall of Louisiana in this area, tons of apartments.

I hope this helps some.  You or your son feel free to email at smunster@gmail.com   I have several friends living in this area.  Not sure where you're from but it's Africa hot this time of year in south Louisiana!

Good luck,
    Steve
    Thank you for the info.  He is currently in Maryland. But we are from Florida so I understand Africa hot and humid.  LOL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm a city guy but in the case of Baton Rouge, I'd try to find something outside of town in the country where I could get to work without using I-10.
    Options
    I'm a city guy but in the case of Baton Rouge, I'd try to find something outside of town in the country where I could get to work without using I-10.
    I'm telling him to look outside of Baton Rouge also.

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options

I agree. Stay away from I-10 and I-12.  Maybe look in Denham Springs.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • nolaegghead
    Options

I agree. Stay away from I-10 and I-12.  Maybe look in Denham Springs.
    Exactly where I was thinking.
    Options
    He doesn't want to be up by the airport IMO. Rather deal with the commute. We lived in Shenandoah when we lived there and it was a nice area. Denham Springs is nice but it's out of town. Sherwood Forest is also a really nice area. 

If he's looking for a good hardware store Goodwood is the place to go. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Tell him to check out my friend's family's restaurant while in Red Stick.

http://www.digiulios.com/

This is our brisket camp lawyer's family restaurant.

Options
    Well I plan to be visiting so knowing some places to eat is a must.  Thank you all for the information.  

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    The barbecued drum at Parrains is wonderful. But don't give yourself a heart attack by trying the Whole Shebang lol. 

Their hush puppies and green goddess salad dressing are excellent. I really miss that place since we had to move. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle